Popping In to say HI!!

KelzOO

Location (City and/or State)
Northern Mississippi
Hey Ya'll! My names Shasta. My husband and I own two three toed box turtles, an 18 month old Sulcatta named Nanu and we (meaning my husband) just acquired a brand new baby cherry head red footer. {He or she is pretty cute, so he gets a pass}. We live in the northern most part of Mississippi with our Three little girls and a slowly growing zoo : )

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Hey Ya'll! My names Shasta. My husband and I own two three toed box turtles, an 18 month old Sulcatta named Nanu and we (meaning my husband) just acquired a brand new baby cherry head red footer. {He or she is pretty cute, so he gets a pass}. We live in the northern most part of Mississippi with our Three little girls and a slowly growing zoo : )
Welcome to TFO!.. feel free to share pics..

KelzOO

Northern Mississippi
I just recently moved my baby sulcatta into a tank. I was told by MANY people to dry-house him with a humid hide but he is both not growing at ALL and starting to look a little "dusty". I soak him every other day and he gets spray downs daily. Below is the tortoise box that I made for him shortly after MY HUSBAND acquired him... or her along with his new tank setup that is a work in progress. I'm currently working on making him (and our red foot) new lids from plexi glass to better trap in humidity and heat.
aks.jpghn.jpg aks.jpg

Relic

Here
Unless you just want to house the box turtles inside for viewing, they would do splendidly outdoors, and it would allow them to experience the natural warming and cooling of the seasons. Plus, there is an abundance of natural food - bugs - outside for them to eat, as well. And the tortoises could certainly benefit from some time outside during appropriately warm weather, too. You might not want to put them all together, though. Some diseases affect some species more than others, and they might pass from one to another if housed in a single outdoor enclosure.

Enjoy the adventure. There is a lot of useful information scattered about on this forum...

KelzOO

Northern Mississippi
Unless you just want to house the box turtles inside for viewing, they would do splendidly outdoors, and it would allow them to experience the natural warming and cooling of the seasons. Plus, there is an abundance of natural food - bugs - outside for them to eat, as well. And the tortoises could certainly benefit from some time outside during appropriately warm weather, too. You might not want to put them all together, though. Some diseases affect some species more than others, and they might pass from one to another if housed in a single outdoor enclosure.

Enjoy the adventure. There is a lot of useful information scattered about on this forum...
My box turtles actually do live outside all year round and they do love it:) Their home is currently under renovation, but here is a picture.

Attachments

• 20200417_144929.jpg
    20200417_144929.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 7

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
My box turtles actually do live outside all year round and they do love it:) Their home is currently under renovation, but here is a picture.
Hey ya'll...welcome Shasta...I love your outside pen for the box turtles...it's nice...do sorta the same thing for each of your tortoises...with your weather they can be outside a lot...how abt some pix of your Sulcata???

Relic

Here
That's a very nice set-up. My wife's kin hail from northern Mississippi - a tiny little hamlet called Chalybeate.

KelzOO

Northern Mississippi
Hey ya'll...welcome Shasta...I love your outside pen for the box turtles...it's nice...do sorta the same thing for each of your tortoises...with your weather they can be outside a lot...how abt some pix of your Sulcata???
I actually just finished a new outdoor box for Nanu but its been a tad too chilly to put him outside
(55-65 degrees Tops) as well as rainy and overcast. I did have a few questions about his appearance.
1) He is missing the claws on one of his back feet (picture posted below) anyone know what could cause this other than an accident?
2) Does his shell look like its starting to pyramid? I've been a bit worried that he hasn't had any white growth lines or anything.
claws 2.jpgNan.jpgNa.jpgNanu.jpgNanuu.jpgNanuu.jpgl.jpgl.jpgd.jpg