Poor thing. Pyramided Sulcata in LA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/pet/3774986437.html
"Im looking for someone to rehome my sulcata tortoise. it was born in october 2011. i have it in a tank with alpha alpha pellets a uvb 10.0 light and a ceramic heat emitter each with their domes. asking for a rehoming fee of $120. "

The pictures, in case the ad gets deleted:
3I83M83Le5E65F85M6d4tb851a11e5afa1437.jpg

3G13I83H95L25K35Mfd4t0ff50c2ba6021b8f.jpg

erica anne

5 Year Member
How sad! It looks like the owner tried to give him a good setup but had bad info...

Redari

5 Year Member
Alberta, Canada
Wow! I've never seen such bad pyramiding on such a little thing. That poor baby, I hope someone can take him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
LOL! "Alpha alpha" pellets!! (Alfalfa)

Plus the small gauge screen material is screening out all the UV rays.

It's so easy for us armchair quarterback to be critical, but like Erica ann said, it really does look like they tried to do right by the tortoise. They just didn't have the correct information.

Redari

5 Year Member
Alberta, Canada
I was really not feeling at all charitable towards this person, but then I tried Googling Sulcata care sheets. And yeah, there is still A LOT of bad information out there. At least half of the top results were wrong :( That makes me so sad.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Redari said:
I was really not feeling at all charitable towards this person, but then I tried Googling Sulcata care sheets. And yeah, there is still A LOT of bad information out there. At least half of the top results were wrong :( That makes me so sad.

Lots of bad info. There's also no water dish in that enclosure, likely following the ridiculous myth that torts don't need to drink water because they get all their hydration from the food they eat.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sad guy, but my kinda sulcata. Hope whomever is lucky enough to get him, will know how to do so the right way, so the rest of his life will be happier.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Can we do anything for him?

Life is good

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I did send an email expressing concern about his tortoise's condition. If he emails back, I'll talk to him about humidity and hydration... I don't know anything else that can be done, though, unless he decides to lower or waive the fee to someone who can take him. (I'm close enough, but I don't have space for another indoor tortoise enclosure.)

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
Floof, if you can get them to lower the price would you be able to pick him up and hang onto him for a few days??

Just sent them an email.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
APBT_Fanatic said:
Floof, if you can get them to lower the price would you be able to pick him up and hang onto him for a few days??

Just sent them an email.

Yeah, I should be able to do that. Haven't heard back yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.