Poor "Socata" in Michigan

TerrapinStation

Location (City and/or State)
Detroit, Michigan
Just got home! Mission was a success. The guy who had the tort really thought he was doing all the right things. That was a 10 gallon tank in the craigslist ad where the tortoise lived. and he had a generic household light bulb in the dome housing.

His guess was 3 years old, I think it looks female, but am usually wrong about these things. She has good weight (will weigh tomorrow) eyes are healthy, and the shell is not as pyramided as we thought. She does have a strange odor and I think there is some type of oil or wax on the shell. Already gave her a bath and scrubbed her down a little.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Is there any other signs like not eating or ? Anything that would indicate there is an issue before the issue of growth begins to be notable?
like I said misahappen shell, back legs sometimes won't work

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Update and pictures here.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/recent-rescue.146894/

Thanks @wellington for pushing me to "do more" than just post and ask for help. If you would have met the person who sold her to us, it would have been clear that our suggestions and offers of help fell on dead ears. He regaled us with his tales of reptile ownership & how when he gets tired of an animal, he just sells it and goes on to the next thing. Pretty sickening.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
You are a good person.

Thanks Yvonne. I have not always been a very good person, but every day I try to be better. Being around animals definitely helps!

On a related note..... the tortoise "deal" really brought me back to the drinking and drugging days.... we met at night, at a gas station, and made the transaction as if we were doing something illegal. Strange how the times change..... but the rush was just the same. Really got my heart pounding! best part is, no hangover today & I made it to work on time!!!!!!