Poor conditions

Marcus Harrison

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
Hey,

I today visited the place I bought my Russian and now I know what a tank should look like, I took these photos of the torts' tanks. I'll let you make your own mind up on the conditions ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1475964943.095164.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1475964963.399661.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've seen much worse.
It's not half bad, really.
Just a change out of the substrate, etc.
I especially like the corners. They are capped to discourage climbing.
Kind of small. But larger than what most shops have.
And they keep only one in each set up.
Nice.

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Vernon Hills, IL
Water dish present. Labeled correctly. I agree - I've seen much worse.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Certainly not ideal, but it seems fine as a temporary set up while they await what is hopefully a quick sale.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree not bad, but not great either. It's not what a Russian or any adult tortoise should live in perminently.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
That's pretty much what my first tank looked like 17 years ago.

Marcus Harrison

Manchester, UK
It isn't that bad I agree, but to be honest there is poop everywhere and pee. Not cleaned out, their dishes aren't cleaned out, they don't seem to have basking areas and there's plastic plants in there. Bit rubbish

Marcus Harrison

Manchester, UK
Got to admit though, there was baby horsefield's there, I wanted one so bad ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1475997342.977380.jpg
Not possible though as I already have one

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It isn't possible for pet stores to give their tortoises the space required. They have animals on display in order to sell them. That display case isn't bad at all.

Marcus Harrison

Manchester, UK
It isn't possible for pet stores to give their tortoises the space required. They have animals on display in order to sell them. That display case isn't bad at all.
Not necessarily the tank, but the way it's not clean or effective, they have no basking lamp

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Here in the Middle East pet torts are kept in carton boxes - poor little creatures. So what you posted is not all that bad for a temporary enclosure.

HuskyDaneMom

Hubby and I were at a pet store yesterday in NY and they had a Russian tort there. Then I noticed they had another 29 gallon long tank with about 50 sulcata hatchlings. While the conditions weren't horrible seeing as it's a pet store, I can't help wondering the odds of survival for these babies. The weather isn't optimal with our winters and I can't see many people keeping them humid enough or meeting their nutritional requirements. All the customers will see is "how cute" they are.

I also realize now that these hatchlings were only about 2 inches long. I thought it was illegal to sell them so small in the US. I can't imagine 50 teachers or researchers are going to visit that store and that seems a tough sell without the anonymity of the internet.

terrypin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jersey C.I.
I think this is terrible those Russians need a depth of soil as substrate or there will be issues with dehydration.

HI Tortoise Rescue

5 Year Member
Oahu, Hawaii
I've found that pet shop owners don't mind at all when I go in & advise them on any problem I see with their tortoises, be it pen or disease. We are more likely to be experts on our tortoise species, & it doesn't take a herpetologist to see when something is wrong. Speedy-1 is right that they are not pets, but no owner wants his "stock" to be unhealthy, either in the store, or when they are returned by the customer, so try seeing if you can help. The worst they can do is ignore you.

Ken