Poop

ictteacher

5 Year Member
Hi guy

I am the owner of a Russian tortoise (coco) and I can confirm after a year that its a boy. I have notice for about two week that he is not poop as much. He eats soaks and sunbaths a lot and walking around his enclosure looking for me and when he see me try's to climb out with is nice. I can tell you his daily routine of the back of my hand. But lately he isn't pooping enough. He did a big poo around a week and half ago and today two little pellets but nothing to write home about. He is still very active even now 10pm exploring the house and running back to his enclosureImageUploadedByTortForum1395094065.725045.jpg Anyone got any ideas on how to make coco poo abit more.

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Have you used that same type of substrate the entire year that you have had the tort? Do you soak the tort daily/weekly/monthly--or at all?

What types of foods do you offer the tort? Also, when you say he runs around the house...do you mean your house or his enclosure? If you meant your house, what type of flooring do you have in your house? Tile (is it heated) or carpet, etc?

ictteacher

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Have you used that same type of substrate the entire year that you have had the tort? Do you soak the tort daily/weekly/monthly--or at all?

What types of foods do you offer the tort? Also, when you say he runs around the house...do you mean your house or his enclosure? If you meant your house, what type of flooring do you have in your house? Tile (is it heated) or carpet, etc?

Hi there I've used the same substrate since I've had coco but last month I change part of the substrate for hemp. Doesn't seem to bother him much. He get a varied diet of leafs weeds carrots and tortoise pellets which he's had all year round. I keep him Mainly in the enclosure once in a while letting him roam the house. I have carpet in my house no tilt and no under floor heating. For the first 6 month I soak him on a Wednesday and Sunday. After that it's ever Sunday.

Hope this helps

Today I soak him for 30 minute and nothing came out, just wee. There is no poo in his enclosure any where. What do you think I should do. He walking round and claiming stuff. He doesn't seem in pain at all. His legs don't hurt him. He response to the sounds and call of food. WHat could it be.

ictteacher

5 Year Member
Need help please

Coco started pooing but there are really thin. What do you think guys.

jaynemurphy79

I'm having the same issue with Tiny, my beautiful Horsfield Tort :( he was doing great and all the usual stuff up until Monday last week (nearly seven days now) and he's not managed a poop since then, although he will wee and continues to eat, walk around and chill out under his light..... I've soaked him in warm water every other day but this doesn't seem to have shifted anything.....cud he have a more serious problem like a blockage? I'm so paranoid as it's all a learning curve for me and since I had him six months ago, he's pooped just about every day (rabbit sized droppings) x

kezilulu

Have you checked they're not getting buried in the substrate whilst you're not there? I had the same panic with Sheldon about a month ago then one day I was moving his substrate dampening it and came across several little, presents, shall we call them lol
xXx

ictteacher

5 Year Member
Hi guy

Now I've soak coco every three days and things are getting better. But his poo is still small and some times in little bit, He use to do mini logs. He's still active walking around eating at stuff but I have notice a red mark on his shell. His shell is hard all over and he seems fine with it.

Anyone got any idea what could be wrong with him???

ImageUploadedByTortForum1396371910.383420.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1396371925.448651.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1396371936.732434.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1396371956.481741.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MrFrost

You could try to feed the tort high moisture food for a while, see if that changes anything. Also try to feed it a bit of garlic to rule out the possibility of worms existing. Keep in mind that food normally stays in the digestive tract of the tort about 48 to 72 hours.

MrFrost

Damn, there is one thing I have forgotten to mention (but my first reply hasn't appeared yet): feed the tort some food high in fibre, bananas work wonders for this. This will smooth up the digestion of the tortoise, most probably fixing the problem.

ictteacher

5 Year Member
MrFrost said:
Damn, there is one thing I have forgotten to mention (but my first reply hasn't appeared yet): feed the tort some food high in fibre, bananas work wonders for this. This will smooth up the digestion of the tortoise, most probably fixing the problem.

Thanks!!! I'll give it a good tonight and for the week.