Poo....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiger Cowboy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Birmingham, AL
So here's an interesting question for y'all*. What do y'all do with your tortoise's poo? My two are still small so I actually use their poo as either fertilizer in other tanks, and I have just started using it to feed an isopod colony (seems to be working...beautifully(?) so far!). When they get up to larger sizes I imagine I will keep using it for composting.

So. What do y'all do? I know some of the large species have huge amounts of, well let's just call it production.

*This is not guaranteed to be an actual interesting question. It is to me because....well....it just is.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Mine are still relatively small so for now I just dump it out with the water from their soaks, but once they are bigger I'll probably just toss it in the worm bin.

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Vernon Hills, IL
Poop from soaking went down the drain while still tiny, now get dumped in the toilet. poop in enclosure is just picked up with a paper towel and dumped. (they're 7 month old Greeks and still pretty small.)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I just chunk it in the trash, they get pretty big depending on the tortoise. I found a pile in the back yard the other day and thought a dog had gotten in the back yard until I saw it had grass mixed in with it. It was a huge pile, I even bought a dog pop-a-scoop to pick the poop up with...:D:D:D

M

Maggie Cummings

Bob puts out an amazing amount of fertilizer, so that's exactly what I started using it for. I have a spot at the rear of my property where I dig it all in. I turn it almost daily and I use it on my roses and garden and all my outside stuff and the difference in growth is amazing! I had a sick and dying lavender Rose bush so I started putting Bob poop on it and it made a huge turn around and now is putting out beautiful blooms. I love the stuff...also it grows HUGE worms that I feed to my box turtles. I mean huge, someplace here are pix I took of the worms. They are so big that sometimes the boxies are afraid of them. Anyhow, Bob poop is wonderful amazing stuff...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
hee hee poop

Tiger Cowboy

5 Year Member
Birmingham, AL
I figured that it must be a good fertilizer with the amount of greens they process, and I figured somebody out there must be composting. Kinda like the folks with horse, chicken, or cow manure.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I would recycle it, but i dont have the space in my yard to do that right now...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I live on 1.25 acres....so when I clean it out from time to time I simply give it a huck to another part of the property...figure it helps reseed the property...LOL...

I do make sure though that I don't toss poo near my favorite weed collecting section around my front porch...as this area is munchies for all of the torts to share...so don't want to poo it up with multiple tort poo

....incase one has a funky bug and other does not...don't want to cross contaminate one another....just me being paranoid I am sure...LOL

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
In the summer outdoors-throw them over the fence into to the vegetable garden. They get tilled in fall. In the winter indoors-sometimes I mix them with houseplant water for added fertilizer. If not, they go into the trash.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I use it to make "gifts" for people I don't like.

FinnTort

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
Anyhow, Bob poop is wonderful amazing stuff...

I just... yeah... hee hee... smiled like a stupid for about half an hour here. Tortoise poop is the best!

jbean7916

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
Bob puts out an amazing amount of fertilizer, so that's exactly what I started using it for. I have a spot at the rear of my property where I dig it all in. I turn it almost daily and I use it on my roses and garden and all my outside stuff and the difference in growth is amazing! I had a sick and dying lavender Rose bush so I started putting Bob poop on it and it made a huge turn around and now is putting out beautiful blooms. I love the stuff...also it grows HUGE worms that I feed to my box turtles. I mean huge, someplace here are pix I took of the worms. They are so big that sometimes the boxies are afraid of them. Anyhow, Bob poop is wonderful amazing stuff...

Maybe you should package and sell "Bob Poop"

lester2011

5 Year Member
I have a question? How do u know if your tortoise is a boy or a girl? Mine has a thick kinda long tail?

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
I have been throwing mine away. My tort is TINY though, so not a whole lot.

Tiger Cowboy

5 Year Member
Birmingham, AL
maggie3fan said:

I would imagine that this tortoise poo is up there with chicken poo in terms of fertilizer potential. Except possible better as it would likely be further broken down by the tortoise (longer time in the digestive tract). So throw it in the corner and turn is all you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.