Ponds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
There should be a forum dedicated to the construction and care of turtle/koi ponds.

Jas2Cats

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I'd read that :) I have a small (preformed 65 gal I think) pond with 3 fancy goldfish and 2 plecostomus along with plants.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
A picture of my little Koi pond (no turts) It's about 350 gallons, with a gravel biofilter. Believe it or not, it was built entirely by a little 120 pound 85 year old man. He schlepped all those rocks by himself!

pond.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a beautiful pond! I would love to have a waterfall for my pond.

We can always talk about ponds in the "off topic chit chat" section.

Yvonne

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
OMG!!!! That waterfall is unbelievable. Just beautiful. Mine is 1,000 gal Koi pond. Used to be water turtles. It is a mess now. It's so over grown with plants and ......just a mess. Next Spring my son is taking the whole thing apart and making me a smaller pond that I can maintain and enclosing it because I had to take in some rescue RES that was 9 years old and the size of a 50 cent piece....so I might make it into a turtle pond again.....we'll see..Yours is just BEAUTIFUL.

This is mine last year, when it looked better...
terryo3zc4.png

65 gal. with 1 painted turtle
scan0013-2.jpg

100_1666.jpg

100_1659.jpg

This the the top of my sisters fairy pond...it is 2,000 gal.
kevbirth006.jpg

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Wow, that's impressive. My turtle pond is just a cement hole in the ground with water, but I like it. I understand about them getting overgrown. I drag an armload of water lettuce out of mine about every other day!

turtpond.jpg

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Are the turtles able to just walk around the yard, or do they have their own enclosure? My little rescue RES, can't swim too well, because he was kept in 1/2 inch of water for 9 years. He was only fed fish flakes when they remembered. So I had to make a tiny, teeny pond for him in a Christmas tree storage bin. He is OK in something this small. Hopefully he will be able to swim when he gets stronger. His little legs were so skinny, and he wobbled when he walkes...so this is his itty, bitty pond....he was never outside or had any light in 9 years. If I put my hand in the little pond he comes right into it and will eat anything he is given. He just breaks my heart the way he suffered for all those years....
Lil' Abby's itty, bitty pond...
006-14.jpg

004-10.jpg

007-11.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Terry:

You did a great job in making a beautiful yet safely enclosed pond for Lil' Abby. It really doesn't look teeny tiny until you realize that the little pond is inside a Christmas Tree Storage bin! Then you can see just how small it is! Poor little turtle. Or should I have said, "Lucky little turtle!!"

Yvonne

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
My turtles get the run of the yard. Occasionally I have to fish one out of the pool!

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
I just got done browsing some of the other sub forums. Many seem to have ZERO traffic, and go weeks (if not MONTHS) between posts!
I think a forum about ponds would be FAR more popular, and be of FAR more service to turtle owners than say, the "Pancake" forum.
Come on! Pretty please, can we have a pond forum????

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA
I love ponds and would to see more photos of people who have them. Start getting ideas for when I finally can afford a house with a lawn to have my own :)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Shelly, Yvonne put in your suggestion for a pond section when the new format goes into effect, soon we hope. :)

kckklyn

5 Year Member
Just my two cents worth, I would love a pond sub forum they inspire me for the future
karin

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Crazy1 said:
Shelly, Yvonne put in your suggestion for a pond section when the new format goes into effect, soon we hope. :)

That's awesome! I think the response to this thread shows that it would be quite popular!

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I would think for now the best place for pond discussions would be under the "Enclosures" section. Maybe there could be a sub section under enclosures for ponds!

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Preforms are the best.

L o w e z has Maccourt and they are lifetime quality products. I used 3 ponds to build a puppy pen style enclosure for 2 Snappers I rescued. They are happy to be back in the wild and the site stays up for people to see.

www.a m e r i c a n s y n t h e t i c o i l .com/pond/

Design your outdoor enclosure first for the little dinosaurs and then for appeal to humans. Feeder Goldfish are originally from China so they can tolerate the icy waters. No pond heaters are necessary, just cover the ponds with a tarp to keep the water falls from freezing. Leave a patch of water surface exposed. As longs as there is open water, the fish and plants can breathe. Winter the pond plants in the deep ends.

The Turtles can hibernate in the garage or where it is below 50 degrees.

Add a park bench to invite yourself to sit by the water's edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.