Pond liner options

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have two fish ponds, currently. They have been up and running in my screened in patio area for years. One is 420 gallons and the other is 280 gallons. (Small)
I'm planning on building an above ground pond out in the yard. 3-4 feet tall. 10-12 feet long and maybe 4-5 feet wide using stacked, staggered cement blocks and a pond liner. With a filter and skimmer of my own design.
The thing is, it will require a large liner. Something like: 20 x 12 feet.
I'd also like to not spend a great deal of money.
has anyone found a place that sells inexpensive liners?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It was years ago that I had ordered pond liner. I got it locally, but they are no longer in business. I would just do an Internet search and also check out eBay. If by chance it would work out cheaper to put two smaller loners together, the glue that binds them together works great. I started out with a small pond. Then wanted it bigger so added on. Then wanted it even bigger, so added on again. This was all after having done one of the prefabbed ponds. The glue for pond liners worked great.
Good luck, can't wait to see the finished pond

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I've found suitable sized liners online this morning.
There is a very large gap in prices for say, a 15 by 25 foot. They start at around $150 and go up to $1,000.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I would really recommend you stay with an EPDM liner. It is a rubber type compound and feels like the stuff car tire inner tubes were made of. Very durable and very heavy, but will last. It is the stuff most pond professionals will use if they are building the liner-type ponds. Probably at least a 45 mil. For a 12 x 5 foot pond 4 foot deep, you will need a minimum of a 20 x 13 foot liner. Also really worth it to put a fabric pad underneath they sell as a liner to go underneath the main liner. They're pretty inexpensive but cushion the liner especially against your block wall.

Not sure if you are talking about building the entire pond above ground or just a portion above. If you go 3 to 4 feet high with a block wall, the pressure of the water will be extreme on the wall. Definitely will need to put a good foundation, with rebar and cement fill each cell. Even then I wouldn't feel secure with 4 foot high. 3 would probably work, but if you dig down 2 feet and then have a 2 foot high wall, that would be my choice. I built a temporary pond to house my turtles and koi while I built my new "turtle and tortoise resort" when we moved. It was 12' x 18' with an EPDM liner and 16" high block wall. the rest was dug in to give the depth. that also gives a perfect sitting bench height to the wall that makes viewing great. I paid about $360 for the liner just to tear it all out in a year, but it really worked great. Since it was just temporary I stacked dirt up against the block for strength as I didn't fill them with cement since it was all coming out in a year. I did drive rebar in the cells and fill with a very stiff clay soil.IMG_1905.JPG IMG_1906.JPG IMG_1923.JPG

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thanks for the comment about the pressure on the walls.
It was something I hadn't much considered but will be an issue.
I don't want to dig out in the main yard because of the giant coral rocks and fill in the ground. (This area is re claimed Everglades.)
I also have sprinkler lines running through the yard and some buried cables.
My wife likely won't green light my forming a poured cement walled pond.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You could always go with an above ground pool from craigslist. Dress up the outside with block or whatever as it would not be holding pressure with the pool self-supporting.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
You could always go with an above ground pool from craigslist. Dress up the outside with block or whatever as it would not be holding pressure with the pool self-supporting.
Looks are the #1 priority with the missus.
And it must pass her inspection..Or else.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Looks are the #1 priority with the missus.
And it must pass her inspection..Or else.
I certainly understand as you probably can tell from any pictures I have posted of what we have done!
You could make an above ground pool look pretty nice if you used the retaining wall stack blocks with that rough tan exterior. Cap it with the cap overlapping the edge of the pool and it wouldn't show. Even use the same stuff to build a smallish raised deck next to one side for a raised patio about 2 foot high and great viewing while sipping wine!

Just going 3 - 4 foot high you have to go with a round or oval shape. That's why any less expensive above ground pool is that shape. A straight wall that high needs tremendous strength.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have two fish ponds, currently. They have been up and running in my screened in patio area for years. One is 420 gallons and the other is 280 gallons. (Small)
I'm planning on building an above ground pond out in the yard. 3-4 feet tall. 10-12 feet long and maybe 4-5 feet wide using stacked, staggered cement blocks and a pond liner. With a filter and skimmer of my own design.
The thing is, it will require a large liner. Something like: 20 x 12 feet.
I'd also like to not spend a great deal of money.
has anyone found a place that sells inexpensive liners?

I don't know the price but Lowe's sells pond liner by the yard.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
@Markw84
I bought a FIRESTONE liner of the type you recommended.
It's the only one touted as a "permanent" liner.
It is rubber and very, very heavy. I also bought and used an underlayment. Even though I may have not needed it.
It's about 60% done. And it's just a pinch over 1,400 gallons

Attachments

• 20170818_164430.jpg
    20170818_164430.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
  • 20170816_184003.jpg
    20170816_184003.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 26
  • 20170813_105251.jpg
    20170813_105251.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Looking good! Yes those EPDM liners are heavy. I used a 20x30 for my temporary pond and it was all Brenda and I could do to move it around. I also used the underlay cloth. I think that is wise. Looks like you are doing a great job!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
...it was about 2 years later that I did exactly that!

Attachments

• 20190424_145948.jpg
    20190424_145948.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20190429_131136.jpg
    20190429_131136.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 20190505_074859.jpg
    20190505_074859.jpg
    966.8 KB · Views: 3

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
And this is that IN GROUND pond a few years later.
It's still a work in progress and has had many changes.
I was going for that bare, Japanese minimalist look.
But plants crept in. And I let them.
That FIRESTONE pond liner is great.

Attachments

• 20220108_142941.jpg
    20220108_142941.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • 20190713_142642.jpg
    20190713_142642.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
Last edited: