Pond going in for the reds.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Very cool! Looking forward to pictures of the tortoises lounging in their oasis when complete.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
They are mad I had to lock their butts up . They come looking and trying to boss me around.

TempestRising

Austin, Texas
OMG its been to hot fot me to even go in my yard! Gonna need shade cloth to help cool off EVERYWHERE! ;) Good luck on your project!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They are mad I had to lock their butts up . They come looking and trying to boss me around.
What, you don't need their help? My leopard males are the same way. Very nosy! Have to be right in the middle of what I'm doing.
Keep updates please

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
So... you pour concrete?.... I've been thinking of some ways to make couple of big puddles for mine too. The kind that doesn't require heavy machinery for digging or lifting, something I can manage by myself... ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1499134658.778433.jpg for now I just did couple of these (they are about 18" planter saucers) I didn't even have the time to drop them into the ground, rather just mounted and tightly packed mulch around. Will have to do something better this Fall when it cools down a bit. Too darn hot now! I'll be curiously looking for your updates

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have seven adult reds keeping them things fill is killing me . No special tools . All I used is some wire fencing. Had my boy dog a hole the size of the wire I bent to make the shape . Then mixed 3 60 lbs bags of concrete a little dry to shape it . Then mixed up 3 more 60 lbs bags to fill in the spots that wasn't covered . I used my hands with gloves on to shape it . Let it dry then add dryloc on it . Let that dry then wash the crap out of it . Fill with water . I made it so I can sweep it out with a push broom everyday and refill. But it should be deep enough to cover half the tortoise . Red foots do swim in the wild to cross flooded areas .

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
So... you pour concrete?.... I've been thinking of some ways to make couple of big puddles for mine too. The kind that doesn't require heavy machinery for digging or lifting, something I can manage by myself... View attachment 211742 for now I just did couple of these (they are about 18" planter saucers) I didn't even have the time to drop them into the ground, rather just mounted and tightly packed mulch around. Will have to do something better this Fall when it cools down a bit. Too darn hot now! I'll be curiously looking for your updates

I do something similar, but i have 36in water heater drain pans. Mine will drink from them or walk through and keep going but only one of them loves the water and actually soaks.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Boston ferns they eat . I had six of them in here.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
They would eat it . haha They have ate everything but the banana trees.