Pond for growing Sulcata?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Curtis has outgrown his 16 inch saucer, and needs an upgrade.B5CF0DBF-E44D-4D86-856D-045932AC585E.jpeg
To make a shallow pond, do you just dig out a big dip in the ground and fill it with concrete? Or do you need some sort of support for it, like hardware cloth, or a coating of some kind?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hang on, I’ll send you a pix of a nice in-ground watering hole. But, you don’t need wire/hardware cloth....etc.
You can easily dig out the space that you want - be creative, shallow end, leading down into a deeper area. No coatings...etc.

ill go find the pix, video & add here. Since you are not supporting anything, no “rebar” type inserts needed.

Check out minute 8:35 into this video, good info on a “concrete” watering hole

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Hang on, I’ll send you a pix of a nice in-ground watering hole. But, you don’t need wire/hardware cloth....etc.
You can easily dig out the space that you want - be creative, shallow end, leading down into a deeper area. No coatings...etc.

ill go find the pix, video & add here. Since you are not supporting anything, no “rebar” type inserts needed.

Check out minute 8:35 into this video, good info on a “concrete” watering hole

Thank you!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
How big? And how long do you want it to last. Something smaller like in the video is probably fine without mesh in it, but once youre talking about something several square feet or more in area, I'd put mesh in the concrete. Something more like welded wire or horse fencing rather than hardware cloth.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
How big? And how long do you want it to last. Something smaller like in the video is probably fine without mesh in it, but once youre talking about something several square feet or more in area, I'd put mesh in the concrete. Something more like welded wire or horse fencing rather than hardware cloth.
I’d say about the size if an adult Sulcata, if that gives a scale. Thanks!