Pond filtration

DoubleD1996!

Location (City and/or State)
Memphis
Had to redo the pond since last pump wore out on me over winter. Its going to take a while to clear up. I have my new pump set on a timer so it doesn't overwork itself. I live on two acres and my pond is far back, so I had to run an extension cord. I used these fairly cheap cord protector to prevent rain from damaging them . I also put tubing on the cord to the pump. Turtles get curious and sometimes they investigate with a bite, and cords and bites...you get it. I wax floors in my spare time, so as a filter medium I used stripping pads and may or may not have shredded my hands when I pushed them in the trash can. There is gravel at the bottom and pvc silicone at the end.20210415_185111.jpg20210415_185126.jpg20210415_185147.jpg20210415_185151.jpg20210415_185159.jpg20210415_185054.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You might need to do water changes to get the pond clear. I'm in the north so I don't run a filter in winter. My pond will get green. Usually a couple water changes are needed to get it back to clear.
Btw, a pond pump/filter should be running 24/7 unless its winter and where it freezes.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
You might need to do water changes to get the pond clear. I'm in the north so I don't run a filter in winter. My pond will get green. Usually a couple water changes are needed to get it back to clear.
Btw, a pond pump/filter should be running 24/7 unless its winter and where it freezes.
I do water changes weekly by overflowing the pond into the garden. And it's common to get an algae bloom during spring and early summer. And due to the specs of the pump I don't want to risk running it continuously, it's not made to run all day.

Relic

Here
My "pond" is only 650 gallons, but the pump runs 24/7. The current pump is around 10 years old. You need lots of plants in the water to absorb the nutrients that feed the green algae. Your pond appears to have areas that allow dirt to wash in from rain, making it much more difficult to get clear water. But most importantly, I'd get a better pump...

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
My "pond" is only 650 gallons, but the pump runs 24/7. The current pump is around 10 years old. You need lots of plants in the water to absorb the nutrients that feed the green algae. Your pond appears to have areas that allow dirt to wash in from rain, making it much more difficult to get clear water. But most importantly, I'd get a better pump...

Maybe in the future. And yeah, dirt does run off and aquatic plants usually don't last long because of the turtles. Water hyacinth and duck weed usually last the longest, but thanks for the link.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Maybe in the future. And yeah, dirt does run off and aquatic plants usually don't last long because of the turtles. Water hyacinth and duck weed usually last the longest, but thanks for the link.
There's a guy on eBay that sells 60 water hyacinth plants for $50. My turtles eat them too but 60 of them last most of the summer. Might be an idea for ya.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
If the pond pump doesn't run constantly, the beneficial bacteria that turn NITRITE into NITRATE and also knock down the ammonia level will not flourish and you'll just have a particle filter. Good for ornamental ponds but not for supporting living animals.
You'll find that if you place your submerged filter pump into a "mesh filter bag" it will quadruple the life of the pump.
They're just a few bucks. And are worth their weight in gold.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
If the pond pump doesn't run constantly, the beneficial bacteria that turn NITRITE into NITRATE and also knock down the ammonia level will not flourish and you'll just have a particle filter. Good for ornamental ponds but not for supporting living animals.
You'll find that if you place your submerged filter pump into a "mesh filter bag" it will quadruple the life of the pump.
It's only off for about an hour. You think it'll be an issue?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I do water changes weekly by overflowing the pond into the garden. And it's common to get an algae bloom during spring and early summer. And due to the specs of the pump I don't want to risk running it continuously, it's not made to run all day.
Correct.
That isnt a constant duty pump.
But, you need one.
I use 3 Becket 1,000 gph submerged pumps on my 3 ponds.
With the mesh bags they last over 4 years each.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a 600 gallon water trough for a snapping turtle. It is filtered using a Skippy filter, which is similar to yours. My filter is powered by a 1hp dirty water sump pump I buy at Harbor Freight for slightly less than $100 (Amazon sells them too). I run it 24/7/365. When it wears out I just buy another one. The dirty water pump will take in leaves, etc.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I have a 600 gallon water trough for a snapping turtle. It is filtered using a Skippy filter, which is similar to yours. My filter is powered by a 1hp dirty water sump pump I buy at Harbor Freight for slightly less than $100 (Amazon sells them too). I run it 24/7/365. When it wears out I just buy another one. The dirty water pump will take in leaves,

Dandelion_@_

New Hampshire
They're just a few bucks. And are worth their weight in gold.
Can you add more info on the mesh filter bag? Is this a special product? Got any links?