Polling for the best substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

filbertjonathan

5 Year Member
In this thread i want to ask some information the best substrate for torto.
In this forum many people use cocopeat for the bedding, so do i.
But after i have had a discussion with some one, he said that cocopeat is harmful because there is theanine.
Please give me more advices for the best.

Thank you before

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't thing "cocopeat" is the same thing as coconut coir. Many, many reptile keepers use moistened coconut coir and have no ill effects with their animals.

My preferred substrate is fine grade orchid bark. Second choice is cypress mulch.

filbertjonathan

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
I don't thing "cocopeat" is the same thing as coconut coir. Many, many reptile keepers use moistened coconut coir and have no ill effects with their animals.

My preferred substrate is fine grade orchid bark. Second choice is cypress mulch.

From this site coir is same with cocopeat http://www.botanicoir.com/faq-cocopeat.php

tyler0912 said:
I Use Forest Bark Substrate (Cypress Mulch), And Coconut fir Bark For The Hide!
Is forest bark same with orchid bark?

filbertjonathan

5 Year Member
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
Coco coir 100%! I see NO reason why anyone wouldn't want to go with coco coir :D

thank you for the reason hehehhe... i am gladd to hear that coco coir / coco peat is safety..

karleyreed

5 Year Member
I use a substrate called tortoise life. It's a mixture of 50:50 top soils and sand, with limestone pieces in, incase the substrate is eatin, limestone is a good source of calcium and doesn't cause impaction

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
I don't know that there is one "best" substrate. The biggest key to picking a good substrate seems to be making sure it retains moisture, but doesn't rot because it is damp. This is one reason Cypress Mulch is a much better choice than Aspen shavings. Coconut Coir, Soil mixes, Orchid Bark, etc also have this characteristic in common.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
Coco coir 100%! I see NO reason why anyone wouldn't want to go with coco coir :D

Well people do say it is hard to clean. But I have no experience with it.

filbertjonathan

5 Year Member
karleyreed said:
I use a substrate called tortoise life. It's a mixture of 50:50 top soils and sand, with limestone pieces in, incase the substrate is eatin, limestone is a good source of calcium and doesn't cause impaction

Ya, i read in many web that is one of the best mixture for substrate. And now i am using for my tort. Thank you karleyreed.

theTurtleRoom said:
I don't know that there is one "best" substrate. The biggest key to picking a good substrate seems to be making sure it retains moisture, but doesn't rot because it is damp. This is one reason Cypress Mulch is a much better choice than Aspen shavings. Coconut Coir, Soil mixes, Orchid Bark, etc also have this characteristic in common.

Yeah as long as i use coco peat , this substrate can hold the humidity well... Maybe i will try cypress mulch, but it is difficult to find it in my country.
mattgrizzlybear said:
Well people do say it is hard to clean. But I have no experience with it.

Hmmmm,, i think coco peat is easy to be cleaned hehehe.. So i don't find any difficulty.

StudentoftheReptile said:
I like coconut coir. Used to used cypress mulch, but don't like it as much now.

Yes, so i think i have used i right substrate.. Happy to hear that.

Thank you all for the responds.

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
The best is to mix it,,

The reason why it danger for tort it just cocopeat can grow fungus easily if use to long..

Just my 2 cents

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
I'd use dirt from the yard but my yard is mainly sand and ants...

Right now I am using organic peat moss with cypress mulch. It's so far holding humidity well, the plants can grow in the peat moss (in pots), and it's easier to burrow in than plain cypress for her. But not as muddy as just the plain peat moss.

I have a redfoot so humidity and mold resistance is more of a concern than burrowing-ease.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
What I do and have had GREAT success with is to go 80% coconut bark 20% coco coir! This is the BEST way to go!

filbertjonathan

5 Year Member
evlinLoutries said:
The best is to mix it,,

The reason why it danger for tort it just cocopeat can grow fungus easily if use to long..

Just my 2 cents

Ok om evlin...thank you for your suggestion

*Barracuda_50* said:
:) Coir and Forest Floor bedding mixed is what we use.

Hmm what forest floor bedding looks like? Could you please upload the pic?

Team Gomberg said:
I only use plain dirt from my backyard. Its perfect.

Is it safety for tortoise?

RosieRedfoot said:
I'd use dirt from the yard but my yard is mainly sand and ants...

Right now I am using organic peat moss with cypress mulch. It's so far holding humidity well, the plants can grow in the peat moss (in pots), and it's easier to burrow in than plain cypress for her. But not as muddy as just the plain peat moss.

I have a redfoot so humidity and mold resistance is more of a concern than burrowing-ease.

As long as i read this forum cypress is the best substrate, but i don't know where i can find it in my country..

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
regular dirt from your yard can be absolutely safe for your tort as long as you do not use fertilizers or pesticides.

and the best part is it is FREE!!!

i am pretty sure a tortoise walking around in the wild doesn't make any stops at petsmart or lowes for a bag of dirt lol...:tort:

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Orchid bark with sphagnum moss scattered about is the best substrate for my red foot. It creates the best humidity for him. :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have tried different items and different combos, for me what works and works well for both the tortoises and myself is the coir bricks with about 20% playsand. I do use some spots with cypress mulch, but overall I don't think it holds moisture as well and I dislike those pokey ends which could harm a tortoise. The coir/sand holds the moisture well, is easy to see what level of moistue it's at (as in if you need to add water), is nice for digging in for sleeping or nesting. With a healthy well hydrated tortoise, you should not have an issue with impaction at that rate of mixing with the playsand.

I don't like the dirt, because I fear what chemicals may be have been added to it in the past. I also find many things in it I don't want with my tortoises in a confined space, where they may be "bored" enough to try eating the pebbles, glass, ect. Plus in the winter, the ground here is a bit hard to dig up. :D

Another reason for me to not use the cypress, is I like to try to limit how much I use of items that are not coming from a renewable source. Cypress trees are being wiped out to make us that wonderful mulch. :(

I suggest just trying different items and combos to see what works best for you and your tortoises, because we each have different environments to work with along with different likes, dislikes, and abilities to get items for substrates.

Status
Not open for further replies.