Plug your favorite tortoise ; )

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoseRose

5 Year Member
I posted in the introductions that I am planning to get a baby tortoise...hubby has given the thumbs-up, so now I just have to settle on one. I am leaning VERY heavily towards a leopard because I think they're gorgeous, but would really love to hear your thoughts on why I should choose another kind (or why leopards are the best). The only ones I won't consider are sulcatas and aldabras because of size (I do know that leopards can potentially get huge as well).

Here's my situation (warning: I tend to blather on): I live in Southern California (L.A., to be more exact). We have a small backyard but will be moving in the spring when we buy a bigger house, which will absolutely have a bigger yard. I'll be able to have an outdoor enclosure of at least 8x10.

I have an ornate box turtle, Sherlock, that I rescued in April. He's housed outside in a 50gallon Rubbermaid container (been bringing him in nights here lately because of the temps). I don't think I want another box turtle, even though I absolutely adore Sherlock, because his finicky eating habits are really stressful to me. I am in the process of fixing up a 'turtle run' for him along the side of our garage (the area I'm enclosing is 3' x 10') so he'll have a bigger area to run around; right now he gets to just roam the backyard for 15-30 minutes each day. The run goes around two sides of the garage so if disaster struck and we weren't able to buy a new house in the spring, I still have room for a decent second outdoor enclosure for a tortoise of up to 30lbs or so.

I will probably not stay in this area permanently. I have NO idea where we'll end up, but possibly close to Arkansas or in Arkansas as that's where my husband's from. We don't want our daughter (21 months) to grow up here. Most likely, we'll move in 3-5 years, but of course we could just wind up never getting around to it, especially since my older daughter (22) plans to stay here permanently. Oh, and the toddler never gets near my turtle and will never get near my tortoise, for those who see a red flag when kids are mentioned (I work in dog rescue and we usually won't adopt to families with toddlers, so I do understand people's concern).

Anyway...feel free to make suggestions! I'm actually pretty open about what sort of tortoise to get, as long as it's not a behemoth. I'd prefer one on the larger side, though, which is why I'm not as interested in Hermann's. For a while I was leaning toward red foots but I like the more traditional look of other tortoises better. I don't really know anything about Greeks and Russians.

: )

~Rose
p.s. Oh, and I won't be putting the baby tortoise in with Sherlock. He'll have his own enclosure.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Leopards are absolutely a beautiful tortoise. Russian Tortoise are fantastic as well.....

RFs are equally as beautiful....Okay, so I just realized, I am likely not going to realistically be of any help...as I can not imagine one tortoise better than the other.....hmmmm, just now realized this LOL :D

Good luck with what ever species you go with and remember, We LOVE PICS :p

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
REDFOOTS OF COURSE!
CLTERRYa2.jpg

:p

JD~;)

lester2011

5 Year Member
Mine is Russians, of course because o have one, and he has quite a personality lol.

RoseRose

5 Year Member
One of the things I love about Sherlock is that he's so personable, so I'm really hoping my tortoise will be friendly and outgoing as well. That's my main hesitation about leopards, because I've read that they tend toward shyness.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
RoseRose said:
One of the things I love about Sherlock is that he's so personable, so I'm really hoping my tortoise will be friendly and outgoing as well. That's my main hesitation about leopards, because I've read that they tend toward shyness.

A lot of that has to do with how they are raised (and in the end of the individual animal). I have a large male who the second he sees you, he is beside you and "helping" you. He was raised with lots of attention and it shows. He is even more friendly then the two larger sulcata, so please don't let that be the reason not to look at the Leopards.

Status
Not open for further replies.