Pls give me some Help

xMario

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
Hello im a first Time tortoise Keeper i got a sulcata and im trying to do everything perfect.

1st pic was my tortoise enclosure 51% humidity after I read about sulcata care here on the forum (and thx guys great info :) ) I changed it yesterday to pic 2 3 4 and so on. I know it's not perfect but I achieved humidity of 89 % it would be awesome if u guys could give me ur opinions and sorry for my English :)
20181228_061337.jpeg20190124_135423.jpeg20190124_135426.jpeg20190124_135438.jpeg20190124_135515.jpeg20190124_135455.jpeg20190124_135521.jpeg20190124_135527.jpeg

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Hi mario, im no expert but I know the experts will tell you to change that uvb bulb asap. It doesn't produce much uvb and the distance it is to your tort from what I can see in the pictures it receives none. You should post your temperatures. That's the most important. I suggest putting a dimmer on a dimmable basking bulb5 if you can. You can do that or somehow have a way of changing the distance to get the perfect temp for the basking spot. I would also use a clay saucer instead of the animal dish you got there. Btw your english is real good.

xMario

Germany
Hi mario, im no expert but I know the experts will tell you to change that uvb bulb asap. It doesn't produce much uvb and the distance it is to your tort from what I can see in the pictures it receives none. You should post your temperatures. That's the most important. I suggest putting a dimmer on a dimmable basking bulb5 if you can. You can do that or somehow have a way of changing the distance to get the perfect temp for the basking spot. I would also use a clay saucer instead of the animal dish you got there. Btw your english is real good.
Thx for ur imput :) the temperature directly under the heatbulb is 36°C (96.8 degrees)
The rest of the enclosure stays at about 24-26 °C (75.2-78.8 degrees)
I lowered the uvb bulb to 15 cm
(5.9 inches) is this good? Before it was
35 cm ( 13.7 inches)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi @xMario and a very warm welcome to the forum to you and to your cute little tort.

Love his enclosure!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread. Ask questions when you need help.

Give your tort a daily soak in warm water so as to avoid dehydration and pyramiding.

Good luck!

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Thx for ur imput :) the temperature directly under the heatbulb is 36°C (96.8 degrees)
The rest of the enclosure stays at about 24-26 °C (75.2-78.8 degrees)
I lowered the uvb bulb to 15 cm
(5.9 inches) is this good? Before it was
35 cm ( 13.7 inches)

So the reason why most do not suggest your kind of uvb is also because it can cause eye damage and because even at the perfect distance it doesn’t produce much uvb and doesn’t last a long time. You’re much better with a tube uvb light. Also the minimum temperature for a baby sulcata is 80F. No area in the enclosure should go lower than that day or night. With a lot of humidity low temps may cause respiratory infection. Your basking temp is okay it may go up to 100F if you want.

xMario

Germany
So the reason why most do not suggest your kind of uvb is also because it can cause eye damage and because even at the perfect distance it doesn’t produce much uvb and doesn’t last a long time. You’re much better with a tube uvb light. Also the minimum temperature for a baby sulcata is 80F. No area in the enclosure should go lower than that day or night. With a lot of humidity low temps may cause respiratory infection. Your basking temp is okay it may go up to 100F if you want.
Thx for ur help :) I increased the temperature to 80 F day and night and I'm waiting currently on arcadia t5s from Amazon for the better uvb [emoji106] should I keep the current uvb off till the new ones come? They come in 3 days I don't want him to hurt his eyes[emoji16]

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Thx for ur help :) I increased the temperature to 80 F day and night and I'm waiting currently on arcadia t5s from Amazon for the better uvb [emoji106] should I keep the current uvb off till the new ones come? They come in 3 days I don't want him to hurt his eyes[emoji16]

It doesn’t always hurt torts eyes but it’s best not to use it. If it arrives in 3 days you can absolutely remove it, it won’t cause anything.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

The hay wild mold, the moss will be eaten and it can cause impaction, and the rocks are likely to be eaten and cause impaction.

I would also remove the cfl bulb. They will be fine with no UV for a few days.