1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Plecostomus Questions

Discussion in 'Fish & Aquaria' started by Seiryu, Apr 21, 2010.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seiryu

Seiryu Member 5 Year Member

Location (City and/or State):
    SE Michigan
    I was wondering about the Pleco. I have heard and read that the room they are given in an aquarium will limit their growth. Is this true most of the time? It would be a 75gallon tank. I know they can get to be 2 feet long, and the 75gallon would be too small for that. But would the 75g tank be small enough to limit his growth to a size that will be ok in the 75gallon tank?
  2. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club

Southern California
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    This is a total myth. The size of the box we put them in has nothing to do with how big they are genetically programmed to get. If they are stunted in a small tank it is usually because of very poor water quality.

There are lots of species of plecos. Do a google search and you'll see a whole bunch. Pick out a smaller one that you like. If you get one, make sure you get some good aged driftwood and give them a pleco wafer or two every night when you go to bed. Most of them starve to death as you'd need a 1000 gallon nutrient rich tank in full sun to grow enough algae to sustain one small one.

I keep Pterygoplichtys gibbiceps, the sailfin pleco. They get big, but mine is little and in a 135. He'll be good for a while. I love this species. Very Pretty. There are a lot of very attractive smaller species though. I've been seeing a lot of bristlenose variations lately.
  3. Seiryu

Seiryu Member 5 Year Member

SE Michigan
    Thanks. I actually had just read what you said in another article, saying that a smaller tank may slow down their growth, but won't stop them.

I'm really looking for a 10-12" Pleco, maybe up to 14". I'm currently looking at this website.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/cat/infoL3/23712/size/24/off/24/sortby/1/category.web

But it doesn't list all the sizes sadly.
  4. dmmj

dmmj The member formerly known as captain awesome Moderator 10 Year Member!

CA
    When I kept them when I was younger they rarely got bigger than 8 inches or so, but that was my personal experience.
  5. Sigmar

Sigmar New Member 5 Year Member

Take a look at the bristlenose species
  6. Kristina

Kristina Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Cadillac, Michigan
    (Pssst, I have baby calico Bristlenose plecos, ready to ship ;) $5 each, $7 shipping)

Bristlenose only reach 4-5 inches, and in a 75 I think that might be the better option. I feed mine slices of zucchini and summer squash, I just stick a stainless steel fork in the slice so it sinks and they gobble it right up. Most plecos are actually omnivorous, but BN are true vegetarians. For commons and panaques, etc, I give them algae wafers, zuc. and squash, and shrimp pellets. I also make my own gel foods and they really love that.[hr]
    Oh, and look here to look up the different species, and their sizes, needs, ect.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/

Another really cool fish are farlowella, who don't get large, and the aforementioned panaque, especially the blues.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.