Please Tell Me What This Is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hagerstown, MD
I looked at Ellie today on her plastron. I noticed a bump on her back leg. It looks like a swollen area without scales. Please tell me what this is!

A little back story: I was called by a friend that they knew someone who had box turtle hatchlings. I rode with my friend to the house of the hatchling owners only to find out that they covered up a spot in their yard where a wild boxie laid eggs. Not only that but they dug up a 3foot by 3foot area around where the eggs where laid with a spade in the hopes of finding babies and to sell them. They only found two, but were certain about 10 eggs were laid. They had dug down about 2 feet and thrown the clay in a pile then recovered the area thinking that the babies hadn't dug out from their sub-teriann labyrinth. I carefully dug by hand picking each ball of dirt up at a time for an hour and found no babies. I am convinced that the rest of the babies were crushed in the digging and or reburying. Of the 2 survivors I was only given 1. They had the 2 in a terrarium full of wet clay. They would take them out to look at them then rebury them under the 5 inches of dirtclauds. Ellie had and has a noticeably broken tail that turns at a 0 degree angle. Her leg might have been broken in all of this and has just healed.

But again I dont know.

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_0309.jpg

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I am not experienced as others here, but i am thinking abcess, fly bot, or broken!

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Hagerstown, MD
Too small for bot fly, plus they arent in my region. My guess was also a broken leg. She walks just fine on it so i guess it was broken when I got her and has since healed. But I dont know for sure.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Your just looking for a good solid confirmation then huh?

I so understand, sorry i cant for sure give it..

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
Is this something new-- or has it been there since you have her? If it is new --maybe it could be some kind of absess[since you say it's like a bubble]. If the area becomes larger or the skin starts to ooze-- a trip to the vet may be in order. Just my thoughts.

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Hagerstown, MD
I have only had her since October, and I have never actually looked at her legs in detail til now.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It looks like an abcess to me Ryan. Try to set him/her up dry for now and put some antibiotic ointment on the spot.

Danny

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
You'll just have to soak 2 or 3 times a day.

Danny

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Hagerstown, MD
Ok I put her into a Tupperware container with some towels and 1 hide for her. That seems fairly dry.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
I don't think it's an abscess. The skin doesn't look irritated, or infected. You said you hadn't really looked at her in detail until now. It's probably an old injury that has healed with new skin growth. She may have even rubbed her leg against her shell and formed a callous. If it turns red and purulent, you should have it treated.

-Matt

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Hagerstown, MD
I did switch substrate to cypress mulch so that she was in humidity but not moisture.

Status
Not open for further replies.