Please tell me this is NOT a penis

ikaklins

Location (City and/or State)
Boston MA
Hi all

I bought this CB cherryhead as a female for purposes of breeding eventually

S/he is now 8 inches long and has started to evert this "equipment" from her cloaca during weekly baths

Two pics attached

I certainly hope this is NOT a penis!!!!, as I have also bought a male from a reputable breeder

Secondary question - if s/he has repeatedly done this behavior recently, but never before, might this be an indication that s/he has reached sexual maturity?

Attachments

• Cherie XXX 2.jpg
    Cherie XXX 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 180
  • Cherie XXX 3.jpg
    Cherie XXX 3.jpg
    849.1 KB · Views: 181

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi all

I bought this CB cherryhead as a female for purposes of breeding eventually

S/he is now 8 inches long and has started to evert this "equipment" from her cloaca during weekly baths

Two pics attached

I certainly hope this is NOT a penis!!!!, as I have also bought a male from a reputable breeder

Secondary question - if s/he has repeatedly done this behavior recently, but never before, might this be an indication that s/he has reached sexual maturity?
It would appear to be a penis. Females can sometimes evert the clitoris, but it is usually a good bit smaller than what your tortoise is showing and doesn't come out as far.

How long ago did you buy it? Maybe it would be possible that the seller would give you a different animal for a discount.

ikaklins

Boston MA
Thanks for your quick reply :(. What about my second question - at 8 inches long, might this be a sign of sexual maturity, or not necessarily??

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I have only seen Sulcata penises, and I know I'm talking about a different species...but 'normally' there's a length to a penis, my guess kinda would be the vagina somewhat coming out as that does happen... also 8 inches might not be big enuf to sex. But, I am usually wrong when it comes to sex...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
No one knows the temps to get males and females for cherry heads, or any other tortoise species except sulcatas.

"Incubated for female" is not reliable, as you are seeing first hand.
I know a breeder that is excellent at determining the sex of small Redfoot tortoises. Hundreds of them
He's very accurate it seems, but still not always correct.
It's very likely that whomever sold that male to you as a female REALLY thought it was a female. And didn't intentionally mislead you.
Also. A sexually mature 8" Redfoot is pretty unusual in my experiences.
The good news is you didn't need to wait another 2 years to find out.

ikaklins

Boston MA
Does anyone have a bright idea for a SWAP - my other great CB cherryhead male 7 inches, breeder - Harding, for a female of similar size or larger? I would pay shipping charges for both of us

ikaklins

Boston MA
Can anyone introduce me to Harding, the redfoot breeder, on this forum, please? I bought this other cherryhead at auction at BSRauctions, com in Jan 2021, and he/she was listed as the breeder of this critter

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm glad I've read this post..

A- For the belly chuckle from @Blackdog1714 ??

And

B- Now, if Sheldon ever flashes me I know what a Tort Willy kinda looks like and won't call the vets for a prolapsed 'hoop' ??

Thanks guys, it's been educational
Oh... That's just the tip. Wait til you see the whole thing in all its alien mushroom glory!

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Yeah, Tom described it well - When Sheldon shows it off, it is twice as long as his back legs. :oops:
Looks like he's dragging his 5th leg !!! ?? ( that's a good example. I refuse to post any
pics ! , but they do exist ! ) ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Does anyone have a bright idea for a SWAP - my other great CB cherryhead male 7 inches, breeder - Harding, for a female of similar size or larger? I would pay shipping charges for both of us
You do know that they should not be kept in pairs right? So you need two females to one Male or house them seperate and only put them together to breed under supervision.
Going to be hard to find someone to trade a female for a Male. But good luck.