Please somebody rescue this bone dry redfoot tort in Tampa!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pond_Lilly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa, FL
pepsiandjac said:
It's heartbreaking to see them like this,i live in the UK and the classified is full of ads like this,i'd adopt them all if i had the space,I saw this 1 yesterday a 10 year old leopard that they keep in a small tank.http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/108212589/tortoise.html

I know, the poor thing sits on this dry mulch, pyramiding is evident, so sad....I just hope someone adopts her.....

btw that leopard tort even looks sad...

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
Pond_Lilly said:
pepsiandjac said:
It's heartbreaking to see them like this,i live in the UK and the classified is full of ads like this,i'd adopt them all if i had the space,I saw this 1 yesterday a 10 year old leopard that they keep in a small tank.http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/108212589/tortoise.html

I know, the poor thing sits on this dry mulch, pyramiding is evident, so sad....I just hope someone adopts her.....

btw that leopard tort even looks sad...

I know,I'm very tempted to buy him but i just haven't got the space for a leopard.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
You should send a nice email to the owners and tell them some things to help improve the tort's life. Just make sure it is a nice email and not rude, the last time I sent a nice one I ended up with 3 free redfoots that needed a new home.

leftycrane

5 Year Member
I emailed him...we shall see what happens. I just said I saw his ad and was concerned about his pyramiding beginning and the setup he was in.

Assante

5 Year Member
I am very tempted.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using TortForum mobile app

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
The person I had emailed for the same reason said that she had received dozens of mean emails about the state of the torts (badly pyramided) and I was the only nice person so she gave them to me. I say if you're tempted to go for it, what is the worst that happens, they refuse to give it away or they don't answer?

Pond_Lilly

5 Year Member
Tampa, FL
jjsull33 said:
The person I had emailed for the same reason said that she had received dozens of mean emails about the state of the torts (badly pyramided) and I was the only nice person so she gave them to me. I say if you're tempted to go for it, what is the worst that happens, they refuse to give it away or they don't answer?

This is a good idea, but I kinda feel this person just wants money, since the first post was like not sure if male or female, but the latest one says female, as if this person thinks females will sell better than males.

Assante

5 Year Member
I will email them about the tortoise tonight, I'm really not sure what to say. I will be in the Tampa area on Sunday so I could pick it up then.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Pond_Lilly said:
jjsull33 said:

This is a good idea, but I kinda feel this person just wants money, since the first post was like not sure if male or female, but the latest one says female, as if this person thinks females will sell better than males.

That could be true, but at the same time he may have sent pictures to someone that requested some and found out that way. My craigslist ad poster wanted 150 for the first one but ended up giving it free. Either way you're informing the poster who may pass on the info to who buys it.

neonsparklexoxo

5 Year Member
syracuse new york
Pond_Lilly said:

I really blame commercial pet stores for all of the pets that get given away, let go, and not cared for. I know a few times that I have gone into a pet store and talked to the employees they would feed me all the wrong information as to tell you anything just to make a sale. it of course is also the people buy the animal that should look into what its needs are and should know if they can adequately fulfill those needs. it is just so sad. if I had the room I would adopt every animal I came across in a poor condition.

Jeepchief66

5 Year Member
I sent you a email we talked before about the tort lets work ona deal.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Note that Spring Hill is a good 45 minutes north of Tampa. Just FYI

Assante said:
I will email them about the tortoise tonight, I'm really not sure what to say. I will be in the Tampa area on Sunday so I could pick it up then.

Pond_Lilly

5 Year Member
Tampa, FL
Jeepchief66 said:
I sent you a email we talked before about the tort lets work ona deal.

you will need to contact the person who posted CL post, I am just reposting as I feel bad for this tort and hope someone adopts her.

FLGirl41

5 Year Member
I hope someone adopts her too. I live in FL as well and have adopted three redfoots-- all significantly pyramided. A surprising number of people believe that all tortoises are desert animals and therefore have a camel-like total lack of need for any water or moisture. It's frustrating.

(P.S. I would take this girl but I already have two torts in quarantine and don't really have room unless I set up another quarantine. I can do it if nobody else can get her out of that situation.)

Pond_Lilly

5 Year Member
Tampa, FL
FLGirl41 said:
I hope someone adopts her too. I live in FL as well and have adopted three redfoots-- all significantly pyramided. A surprising number of people believe that all tortoises are desert animals and therefore have a camel-like total lack of need for any water or moisture. It's frustrating.

(P.S. I would take this girl but I already have two torts in quarantine and don't really have room unless I set up another quarantine. I can do it if nobody else can get her out of that situation.)

I emailed this person and tried to sound uber nice, but got no reply. I hope he or she replied to others who contacted him/her. Very sad indeed.

Assante

5 Year Member
I got no reply when I emailed.

Status
Not open for further replies.