Please post pictures of your homemade light stand/hanger

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
We're always trying to help new keepers with their lights and I know some of you have very inventive ways to hang your lights, so let's have a thread where we can refer new members to look at our pictures. I have a couple different kinds of stands. This one is made out of scrap lumber and fits under a plastic tub:

lights a.jpg

This one is made out of galvanized pipe screwed onto a little square of plywood as a foot (covered with substrate in the picture)

lights b.jpg

Gennifer11

Made this out of a shower curtain, bamboo sticks, hot glue and twine

1423311830392.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dwright27

5 Year Member
I'm looking for ideas for this, too... Hopefully more people reply..?

dwright27

5 Year Member
I upgraded my enclosure to have pvc pipe instead of bamboo. Now I don't need to worry about moldy wood. If that helps :)

That does help! Did you have to cut the PVC to size though? (I don't trust myself with anything sharp lmao)
Also, are the pipes just put together or did you have to glue them?

Gennifer11

I bought a tool at lowes that cuts the pipe, it's suprisingly user friendly. Then I bought the end attachment pieces for the corners. All the rest of the points where the pipe meets I had to glue together. I used a hot glue gun but when I upgrade again, I will use a different type of adhesive. The hot glue doesn't hold well in hot temps. Lol

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

4jean

5 Year Member
New York State
Mine (the plant hanger) came with screws to screw it right to the wood. It is from Home Depot. I think it was made to hold a hanging basket.

Gennifer11

^^^the tool that jaizei posted is what I got. It was pretty cheap and it's pretty much like a shrub cutter

dwright27

5 Year Member
Thanks guys, I will look into the pvc cutters soon. I have bad tendinitis in my wrists, so whichever tool can be operated by feeble little hands would be best lol!
I also have adhesive already, though I think I'd have to let it dry outside to make sure there are no fumes.

ILuvDogz

I'm looking for ideas for this, too... Hopefully more people reply..?
I am a certified dog groomer, as well as a tortoise lover. I hang my lights from a grooming bar...you know when you go into Pet Smart and see the long bar clamped to the table? Then the top part hangs over the table at any height...adjustable. If you laid the bar on the floor, it would be an "L" shape. I do not have a picture of it. I will take one when I can. Anyway...it works great, and is available online at Petedge.com or any pet store. Very reasonable!! Makes a great light stand...

dwright27

5 Year Member
I like the gallows idea too, but I don't have the skill to.. y'know... cut wood straight.. drill holes straight.. Do anything straight lol