Please, please help identify the species of my friend's new tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

friendofnewtortoiseowner

5 Year Member
Hello to the forum, I made this account so that I could find out what species is my friend's new tortoise. I have no special knowledge about these things and my friend isn't the type to join a forum. I don't think this poor tortoise is going to get the right diet until we know what species it is. I am posting a picture. Any knowledgeable replies will be very, very appreciated.

note: the red circle around the shell was painted by the previous owner, not my friend (I mean I think that's paint, and not natural, right??)

Attachments

• DSCN4101.JPG
    DSCN4101.JPG
    790.6 KB · Views: 169

immayo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
The only information I can offer you is that is most definitely some kind of turtle not a tortoise.

friendofnewtortoiseowner

5 Year Member
immayo said:
The only information I can offer you is that is most definitely some kind of turtle not a tortoise.

Can you say why? Do you mean it's an aquatic animal?? I thought it would've had webbed feet if it was aquatic. Why do you think it's not a tortoise?

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Because of the back feet. I want to say that it's a type of box turtle. Can we see more pictures? One from the top and one from the bottom. The red looks like magic marker, I wouldn't be concerned, it'll wear or wash off.
friendofnewtortoiseowner said:
immayo said:

Can you say why? Do you mean it's an aquatic animal?? I thought it would've had webbed feet if it was aquatic. Why do you think it's not a tortoise?

friendofnewtortoiseowner

5 Year Member
yagyujubei said:
Because of the back feet. I want to say that it's a type of box turtle. Can we see more pictures? One from the top and one from the bottom. The red looks like magic marker, I wouldn't be concerned, it'll wear or wash off.
immayo said:

Wow, it honestly did not occur to me that this would be anything but a tortoise, but I guess that was just a noob assumption... I apologize for flaunting my ignorance.. :(

I'll get pictures from the top and bottom asap and post them right away. Thanks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
yagyujubei said:
immayo said:

Wow, it honestly did not occur to me that this would be anything but a tortoise, but I guess that was just a noob assumption... I apologize for flaunting my ignorance.. :(

I'll get pictures from the top and bottom asap and post them right away. Thanks.

Hey, we've all been ignorant at one point or another. Don't worry about it:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Because of the high dome, I'm leaning towards a type of wood turtle. It's probably a semi-aquatic turtle. What happens when you put it in water?

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Mauremys Japonica - Japanese Wood/Pond Turtle

Just because it doesn't have webbed feet doesn't make it a Tortoise....

friendofnewtortoiseowner

5 Year Member
EricIvins said:
Mauremys Japonica - Japanese Wood/Pond Turtle

Just because it doesn't have webbed feet doesn't make it a Tortoise....

Wow, thanks, I just did a web search and it really does look similar to the ones of that species online! Not least the eyes, I think. It seems like you've nailed it (for all I know...)

I just got two pictures of the turtle from my friend, showing the top and bottom.

If you're right about the species, the next step from here is determining what sort of diet it should have...

DSCN4115.JPG
DSCN4116.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

friendofnewtortoiseowner

5 Year Member
I have some updates about the turtle's background. First of all I should state my friend is located in the northeast corner of India. It's a very hilly, forest-covered area. She says the turtle was found in the wild and given to a family who kept him for about a month. Then it was given to my friend. I've always loved turtles and tortoises and this is sort of my chance to experience ownership vicariously through her... I think it has lovely golden brown eyes...

But, this being the case, isn't it a little unlikely that a turtle found in the wilds of northeast India would be a species native to Japan?

However, narrowing it down to its exact species is less important to us than making sure it will get the right diet. From what I gather, if it's some kind of wood or pond turtle then it should have an omnivorous diet and be given the chance to spend time in water.

She says it seems to enjoy wading through water but I don't think it's been put into any deep water. Should she try that?

I feel so sorry for this turtle. I don't think it's been treated well. Notice there's a hole in the shell. It was punctured by the family that owned it for a month so that their little boy could pull it around on a string. Horrible!

And how about the state of his shell? Doesn't it look as if it's flaking? I'm worrried that this animal is not in good health...

Perhaps the most humane thing to do would be to release it into the wild? Maybe, but failing that, general and specific tips and advice about how to care for this animal in captivity will be appreciated very much.

If seeing the turtle from top and bottom will help, I've posted those pictures in the previous post. Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
First order of business is to clip off that ribbon from the hole and don't ever, ever tie up that turtle ever again!!!!!

I'm really not so sure that it is a Japanese pond turtle. The pictures I was able to pull up on the 'net didn't show the flare at the bottom of the carapace like yours has. ANd since it was taken from the wild in India, I'm not sure a Japanese pond turtle would be in the wild there.

Have you put the turtle in water? It looks to me as if it is a type of turtle that lives in and around water. Maybe not a totally aquatic turtle, but rather one that lives on the edges of the water.

I think a diet that leans towards more animal/insect protein would be in order, but I'll bet he'll eat water plants too.

Get a very large tub and set it on an angle so that you can have water down on one end and dry land at the other end.

In the meantime, I'll send a PM to one of our members who is good at I.D.'ing the aquatic species.

friendofnewtortoiseowner

5 Year Member
THanks! Again, though, it's not mine and I'm not located anywhere near where they are. I agree about the ribbon, and I'll ask her to get rid of it. I think it was left on from the previous (very stupid) owners.

Great tip about the tub! I was worried because I'm not sure if my friend will be able to invest in an expensive environment for it, but she should be able manage the tilted tub without difficulty.

Please keep the ideas rolling in, everyone, it's really appreciated.

Yvonne G said:
First order of business is to clip off that ribbon from the hole and don't ever, ever tie up that turtle ever again!!!!!

I'm really not so sure that it is a Japanese pond turtle. The pictures I was able to pull up on the 'net didn't show the flare at the bottom of the carapace like yours has. ANd since it was taken from the wild in India, I'm not sure a Japanese pond turtle would be in the wild there.

Have you put the turtle in water? It looks to me as if it is a type of turtle that lives in and around water. Maybe not a totally aquatic turtle, but rather one that lives on the edges of the water.

I think a diet that leans towards more animal/insect protein would be in order, but I'll bet he'll eat water plants too.

Get a very large tub and set it on an angle so that you can have water down on one end and dry land at the other end.

In the meantime, I'll send a PM to one of our members who is good at I.D.'ing the aquatic species.

jojomo

5 Year Member
not to sound harsh but the parents of that previous family should be tortured and maimed! good luck to your friend :)

friendofnewtortoiseowner

5 Year Member
Thanks a million, Gerard and Yvonne. That does indeed look like the right one, and I'm convinced, unless anyone else has something to say. I'll forward that care sheet to my friend.

I just wonder how long it'll take her to nurse this poor thing back to health. I suppose a good aquarium and proper lamp with the right diet is the way to go. All that chipping and flaking on the shell can't be a good sign of its present condition, can it?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It might just be because the turtle is being kept out of water.

Status
Not open for further replies.