Please Identify This Galapagos Subspecies! Thank you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello,

Can all you experts out there identify exactly which subspecies this is of the Galapagos Tortoise species? Also can you sex it and age it?

Can you also give a ball-park price? Someone I know wants to sell it, and unfortuately knows nothing about it... :( My dream is to own of this these friendly giants and love them for the rest of my life!

Thank you!!!

709g77.jpg

164d42.jpg

ae5led.jpg

kcf5tj.jpg

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It's most likely Chelonoidis nigra vicina and could possibly be a female.
It's probably around 6 years old and worth about $5,000.

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
egyptiandan said:
It's most likely Chelonoidis nigra vicina and could possibly be a female.
It's probably around 6 years old and worth about $5,000.

Danny

Hi Danny: (I'm gonna' hijack this post, sorry) I've heard people say that the only way to tell the diff. btwn Galop and Aldab it the "bow tie" nuchal scute...but in this picture of a Galop, the scales on the front legs are WAY different than the scales on my Aldabs' legs. The galop scales look more like the Manouria front legs. The scales on my Aldabs' legs lays flat on the leg and doesn't stick up like those in this picture. Beautiful tort, by the way!

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Don't know the answer but she is beautiful Cory. Hope you get her. Good Luck.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
hello Cory

Same here, I don't know the answer but it is a very nice tort. Her shell is amazing.

101isthebest

i hope u can get this tort. keep us updated. send these pics to stephanie. she knows a lot of experts. she said she can send pics to her expert friends. i think getting other opinions is a great idea.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
How awsome would that be spike!!!
It looks healthy.
What are the legallities of aquiring such a beast?
How did your friend come across it?
I dont want anyone to get in trouble, just curious...

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Can you get a clear shot of under the shell just above the neck. The first shot is perfect but with a little more light.

There is no way in the world to know what subspecies you have without DNA comparison.

Even with DNA comparison there is much debate as to the subspecies of the Galaps.

As to the Value... whatever the seller is able to get. I've seen Galaps... if it is a Galap... of that size... go for $2000 to $8000.

spikethebest said:
Hello,

Can all you experts out there identify exactly which subspecies this is of the Galapagos Tortoise species? Also can you sex it and age it?

Can you also give a ball-park price? Someone I know wants to sell it, and unfortuately knows nothing about it... :( My dream is to own of this these friendly giants and love them for the rest of my life!

Thank you!!!

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
That's why I'd lik to see if there is any evidence of a nucal scute under the margin of the shell. If there is any evidenc of the nucal scute it would most likely be an Aldabra although the carapace looks kinda flat.

Of course I know nothing of the history of the animal. That would shed some more light on an ID.

spikethebest said:
-EJ said:
if it is a Galap...

so there is a chance this tort isn't a galapagos tortoise? if it isn't , what else could it be?

evin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
manteca, Ca
haha tell em they sell for 50 bucks and buy it fromt them

rockreadyyj07

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Probaly stolen. Why would someone have a 3k+ tortoise in what seems to be great health and not know anything about it

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Spike: Your tortoise is more than likely a Galop and not an aldabran. If you would notice the nose. The Aldabrans don't have that "pig" nose, their nose is more rounded. Also, the lack of the bow-tie shaped nuchal scute, and the scales on the front legs. I have two Aldabrans and one has the nuchal scute the other just has a bump where the scute would be. They both have a rounded nose and they both have flat, smooth scales on the front legs. It sounds like you really want this tortoise. I say, go for it!

Yvonne

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
thank you everyone for all your input, advice, and comments.

i have sent these pictures to MANY places, zoos, rescues, universities.... and all the TOP experts have clearly identified as a galapagos. they have also said it a hybrid of the subspecies. very few pure galap exist in the US. also sexing galaps are about as easy as sexing Aldabs (extremely difficult!). so i shall wait and see. So until I know for sure, Im going to call her a female.

i'm getting her this Saturday and her name is going to be Littlefoot.

I will put some pics up as soon as I get them of Littlefoot in her new home.

Thanks again!

evin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
manteca, Ca
how much did you end up paying for the majestic beast

Status
Not open for further replies.