please id my new find

Status
Not open for further replies.

scallopking

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
i need help, what kind is this? any on how to care for it would be great. debating on keeping or giving to a rescue place. it's out of hibernation today since it's warmer. probably 3', 60-70 lbs, a 80 rings something like that. how old is it? i'm a newbie at this.

[IMG=640x480]http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/8777/img2869ti2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG=640x480]http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/6668/img2871ax0.jpg[/IMG]

i rescued this from my neighbors house that went into forclosure and they left it there. any help is appreciated. thanks!

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
Where are you located? If you decide to place it in rescue please contact me if you are in the southeast as I can put you in contact with a friend in SC that does placement. Thanks for taking him/her in, that was very sweet of you.

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
yup.. that's sulcata.. big sulcata though.. :) nice to know that you rescue him/her.

scallopking

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
egyptiandan - thanks for the info. finally, get to know what kind it is. wow, only 10-15...that's funny i figured much, much older than that. i haven't read the lin yet, how do you tell if they are male or female?

JustAnja, sorry I am in southern california. i am an animal lover, so couldn't let that happen!

newbie, it is big. threw out my back the first time i carried it. thanks.

Larigh - i am probably about 3 hours away from you in north-west Los Angeles County. i just might take you up on your offer. i am trying to see if i can get in touch with local rescue chapter here, otherwise so far you are my only other alternative right now - i might not have any choice - have to wait and see.

by the way, the people next door also abandoned their dog too, that was rescued also. sheez.

so, realistally how hard is to keep one of these anyway?

i have also myself have four dogs...does anyone else have one with dogs too?

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
scallopking to the rescue! welcome to the forum. nice job rescuing a tortoise in need!
that big sulcata is going to need A LOT of space and grass to graze on for him to really be happy. do some research online before you decide to keep him... for now he'll do best with bermuda grass and some dandelions!
if you decide to let a rescue find a home for him, try the California Turtle and Tortoise Club. im pretty sure they have active chapters in your area. http://www.tortoise.org
also, an expert will have to answer your age questions. with tortoises its hard to tell because they can be severely stunted in growth if they are kept in poor living conditions or fed the wrong diet.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Scallopking kudos for rescuing this one. I have recently rescured a 4 incher. These guys get big really big & live long lives. Can live 100 + years and can weight up to 150 lbs. If all conditions are right. I've seen one from one of the Cttc clubs that weighs 116 lbs and he is huge. Of you can flip him and give a belly and tail shot I'm sure someone can identify if it is a female or male and also a rear shot. Good Luck and Welcome to TFo

scallopking

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Quick update, one rescue (Joshua Tree something...) cannot take in any Seculata's at all.

My options are running out. I just cannot keep it - grown fond of it but realistically cannot.

So I am offering this up to go to a good home. Only requirement is that one. I'm sure anyone on this forum would be good owner.

I live in So. California, Los Angeles area. I am willing to meet somwhere within reason at first.

Please send me a message or respond to this if interested. Thanks.

scallopking

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Larigh said:
If you are near San Diego, I can take him off your hands. I currently have a male sulcata about the same size. I hate when people abandon thier pets and expect them to survive. Glad that you rescued him though.

Would you be willing to meet half way possibly?

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
scallopking have you contacted the Los Angeles chapter of the CTTC? if i had a home of my own and enough land i would gladly take in this tort...at least temporarily. let me know if there's anything i can do to help you find him a home. I am in N. Orange County...thats not too far from you.

scallopking

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
no, just our chapter out here with no response. that is a good idea though. thanks, i do much appreciate the offer to help but a very kind Larigh and I are going to meet this Saturday so she can take it off my hands. i am so thankful (by the way Larigh describes) that it is going to a great home and will have a nice person to take care of it.

josh said:
scallopking have you contacted the Los Angeles chapter of the CTTC? if i had a home of my own and enough land i would gladly take in this tort...at least temporarily. let me know if there's anything i can do to help you find him a home. I am in N. Orange County...thats not too far from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.