Please I.D. my "found" tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

crystal starr

5 Year Member
Im having trouble finding out what species my tortoise is i found her a month ago please help... my phone wont let me upload pics she looks like an african spurred or a desert tortoise

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
RE: HELP!!!

1st- figure out if it is a native species. Google 'reptiles (your state)'. Most states have some sort of visual database.

If it IS a desert or related native tortoise or box turtle, your second step would be to contact your local game and wildlife office, anonymously if you want, to find out what the laws are concerning them and what to do if you already have one.

If it is NOT a native tortoise, and you cannot upload a photo, then do a Google image search for the species you think it may be. If that does not help, Google image search 'tortoises' and look for what is closest.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV

Nothing more to add to what was just said, so welcome to the forum...

crystal starr

5 Year Member

Here she is her name is tootsie

Attachments

• IMG_20120503_003222.jpg
    IMG_20120503_003222.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 122

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri

That looks like a cute sulcata to me, also appears to have been around the block a few times. Where did you find her?? also you should take some more photos! I wanna see the big spikey legs straight on!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Looking like a sulcata to me also. You should check craigslist and other places, vets, etc to make sure someone hasn't lost it before just planning on keeping it. If no owners found, Congrats, you are the proud owners:D

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida

It is a sulcata. I would go the craigslist route on the off chance I might be able to find the original owner, but be vague or people might try to take advantage of your kindness. If it has been a month, though, most folks would have given up by now. I would not, but most folks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi crystal starr:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Is your name Crystal?

And may we know appx. where in the world you are?

crystal starr

5 Year Member
RE: Please I.D. my "found" tortoise

I found her in the middle of a road i posted signs near where i found her and been on craigslist also so yes ive givin up did my research on how to care for her.. I live in San Antonio Texas :D

jason g.

5 Year Member

Texas they can live outdoors all year round in Texas can't they or does it get to cold there? Looks like you got a pretty lil sulcata then. ;) she's lucky you came along to get her outta the road. :)

crystal starr

5 Year Member

Yes when we found her a bird was circling around her im very glad i found her in time dont know how long she had been out there but she seems happy now and my kids and i are now big tortoise fans because of her shes a cutie!

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida

crystal starr said:
I found her in the middle of a road i posted signs near where i found her and been on craigslist also so yes ive givin up did my research on how to care for her.. I live in San Antonio Texas :D

Reads to me like you are good to go, then.

Status
Not open for further replies.