Please help - What Breed?!

TobiasTheTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Lancashire
Hello!
I have acquired a tortoise from someone who “doesn’t have the time”
They are unable to tell me the breed and rough age? Is there anyone who can help just so I can provide the right set up and diet

Thankyou in advance 1494F5D8-A2A6-464E-85EB-C018F9DBDB0F.jpeg1494F5D8-A2A6-464E-85EB-C018F9DBDB0F.jpeg4572F9D0-8B7E-49EA-B4E9-FF41F5507CEB.jpeg8E13023C-FF2A-4B47-8D0C-1CFB0CE7902A.jpeg

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Testudo Horsfieldii (Russian Tortoise), Not quite full grown by the looks of it. Lots of pyramiddal growth indicating conditions were too dry. Appears to be in good condition otherwise.

Here is the care sheet to follow, it is current and accurate best practice. If you have questions pls ask. What is the enclosure like?

The Best Way To Raise Any Temperate Species Of Tortoise | Tortoise Forum

TobiasTheTortoise

Lancashire
Thankyou, im not sure the standards of the enclosure he was kept in. He came to me with a vivarium and wooden cat litter? I’m moving him into a tortoise table tomorrow, just need to make and set it up today.

Thankyou again for your help!

Reactions: ISU

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Thankyou, im not sure the standards of the enclosure he was kept in. He came to me with a vivarium and wooden cat litter? I’m moving him into a tortoise table tomorrow, just need to make and set it up today.

Thankyou again for your help!

Pls read the attached care sheet before building anything, it covers the pros and cons of table vs enclosure. A table seems like a nice idea until most people realise how big a 4x8ft table is, also its easier to control the environment in an enclosed habitat.

If you dont mind, could we see a better picture of the torts tale and its face? I dont know russians well enough, but other owners may be able to tell you the sex of this tort and overgrown beaks are common with rescued torts.

TobiasTheTortoise

Lancashire
Pls read the attached care sheet before building anything, it covers the pros and cons of table vs enclosure. A table seems like a nice idea until most people realise how big a 4x8ft table is, also its easier to control the environment in an enclosed habitat.

If you dont mind, could we see a better picture of the torts tale and its face? I dont know russians well enough, but other owners may be able to tell you the sex of this tort and overgrown beaks are common with rescued torts.

yes I will do, he’s got a severe undershot jaw but we have an appointment on Thursday with an exotic vet (it doesn’t stop him from eating)

Yes of course!
He has a terrible undershot jaw (we have an appointment with an exotic vet tomorrow - wish us luck) He eats very well considering.

He’s being camera shy this morning ?ACF37394-1A3A-4766-B635-873308499006.jpegA68BB527-874F-4790-BE28-0C4D58965455.jpeg7674A39B-CBAB-4213-9B25-28DC576378A9.jpeg D29366CB-265B-4E25-B7FC-8136DC814697.jpegD29366CB-265B-4E25-B7FC-8136DC814697.jpeg

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Yowsers, dont think I recall seeing a lower beak overgrown like that.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
I know it’s sad isn’t it! Are lower beaks okay to be trimmed like top ones?

There is a bit more too it I think. This lower beak needs to be trimmed and then sculpted along with whatever the top beak looks like, so that the lower beak slids inside the upper. If its your first time ever trimming it would be difficult. It also shouldnt be able to grow like that, so there may be some underlying injury or deformation that has caused it to happen. I would probably try trimming it myself, I think I would reccomend to a novice to involve your Vet first.