PLEASE HELP! Tortoise Mistreatment Petition

Nia L

Location (City and/or State)
East Stroudsburg, PA
Hello everyone!

I recently posted a thread regarding my college’s mistreatment of the tortoises cared for on campus. Here is a link to the original thread. https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/is-my-campus-bordering-on-animal-abuse.185256/

Following written letters to the bio faculty, it became clear nothing would be done. So I’m asking for your help. Please sign our petition on change.org and help us free Bill the Redfoot tortoise and Athena the Russian tortoise.

Attachments

• 9AD65774-023C-45E6-B667-D3469C8AE25C.jpeg
    9AD65774-023C-45E6-B667-D3469C8AE25C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
  • 6224BD82-632D-44C8-83C5-D98B5830651A.jpeg
    6224BD82-632D-44C8-83C5-D98B5830651A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
  • 55FC92EF-FC3A-410E-8B55-5A95F9A5AB5B.jpeg
    55FC92EF-FC3A-410E-8B55-5A95F9A5AB5B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 42
  • FFD791E8-1295-4666-9089-8AF84D655BFE.jpeg
    FFD791E8-1295-4666-9089-8AF84D655BFE.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 37

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Hello everyone!

I recently posted a thread regarding my college’s mistreatment of the tortoises cared for on campus. Here is a link to the original thread. https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/is-my-campus-bordering-on-animal-abuse.185256/

Following written letters to the bio faculty, it became clear nothing would be done. So I’m asking for your help. Please sign our petition on change.org and help us free Bill the Redfoot tortoise and Athena the Russian tortoise.

Do you have pictures of the Russian tortoise and "her" enclosure? How does she look?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Sharing on my IG.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wouldn't have gone the petition route. I think speaking to them first and offering care sheets would have gone down better.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I wouldn't have gone the petition route. I think speaking to them first and offering care sheets would have gone down better.
Op already tried that

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
After seeing the Russian tortoise photos:

Set the biology department on fire.
We don't incite violence around here, and we don't encourage illegal.
Even though we fully understand those urges to smack people upside the head when they won't do right by the animal. :rolleyes:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The forum has heard from the University and the OP has a meeting set up with them. It was explained the 2 tortoises are rescues and in the condition they are in when the University received them. The enclosures are suppose to be temporary. I had asked for updated pics when improvements made.

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
Hello everyone!

Signed!

taako-tuesday

North Dakota
Signed and cross posted to the tortoise Reddit for some exposure. Poor bill and Athena ? absolutely heartbreaking.

Nia L

East Stroudsburg, PA
Hello everyone. After reading Dr. Howey's reply to my original post, I have come to understand that I was wrong about several issues with my complaints. Do not get me wrong, I do still believe that our school needs to improve the lives of these tortoises. I did, however, fail to engage in a meaningful conversation with members of the bio department before I began my attack. I did not give them the benefit of the doubt because I was quite angry. I regret jumping into this effort as aggressively as I did. Please do not harass the University of Scranton with any more emails and do not post this issue to other communities. And I am not saying this because they made me say this. I just want to be honest about my failings in executing my efforts.

But as I said, I do believe that the conditions that these tortoises are currently in are far from adequate. I will now proceed to negotiate with faculty and administrators about how to best bring about meaningful changes.