PLEASE HELP- SULCATA

Yeetster

Location (City and/or State)
West Virginia
The heat pad needs to go on the ground. It wouldn’t do much on the ceiling, like a radiant heat panel would.
I like to put water on the ground to help with humidity, would it be safe with the pad on the ground? What if I put it on the side even? Also any suggestions on how to help his eye heal?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I like to put water on the ground to help with humidity, would it be safe with the pad on the ground? What if I put it on the side even? Also any suggestions on how to help his eye heal?
I’m not sure about the eye, except for using the eye drops you said you were going to use, and soaking. I know some people have put it on the side, but the point of having one is to make it so that the tortoise’s heat doesn’t seap into the floor. It’s much more effective on the ground.
As long as it’s the durable kane brand heat mat, it’s fine to have water on it.

Yeetster

West Virginia
I’m not sure about the eye, except for using the eye drops you said you were going to use, and soaking. I know some people have put it on the side, but the point of having one is to make it so that the tortoise’s heat doesn’t seap into the floor. It’s much more effective on the ground.
As long as it’s the durable kane brand heat mat, it’s fine to have water on it.

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
They look a bit small for the irregular weather yet. How are you monitoring the temps? Two together is a really bad idea even if it looks like they are getting along. There are so many things that could be wrong and hopefully it’s nothing serious . It could be something he ate, an accident involving they eye, a tortoise fight? Someone with more experience can help you better but in the mean time, post as many details as you can and keep that tortoise extra warm and separate until you figure out what’s going on.
They need separate spaces ASAP ! Climbing on each other is NOT playing it is aggression. Probably caused eye problem.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The Kane mat will not be enough by itself. The CHEs did not cause this problem, so you can leave them in to maintain temperatures. Don't put substrate on top of the Kane mat. Poop and pee and debris is fine, but don't bury it under substrate.

Why is the ambient temperature in there 90-110. 110 can kill them. Your ambient temp inside the box should be around 86 in cold weather, and 80 the rest of the year when they can warm up outside in the sun.

Its too wet in the box. Damp substrate is fine. Wet all the time is no good.

I can't see the inside of the box well in the pics. Is there exposed insulation in there?

You should not need light inside the box. Its supposed to simulate a burrow and be dark. Animals that live outside full time do not need indoor UV in their sleeping quarters.

I don't see any obvious reason for the eye injury. The most likely culprit is the other tortoise climbing on him/her. They need to be separated. They don't get along fine, no matter how much you want that to be the case.