Please help ! (soft shell)

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I'm so very sorry we couldn't help him. But remember that his fate was sealed before you got him. There was nothing you could do to fix this.

I, too, hope that you will not let this heartbreaking experience deter you from getting another baby. There's one out there just waiting for you to come and get him.

ChumboWumbo

Middletown DE
I am sorry for your loss. For future reference and for others reading, that UVB light was waaayyyy too strong for that short and small and enclosure. A 4 ft T5 12% would have created a UVI index dangerously high in that short enclosure where the bulb to tortoise height would have only been about 12". That certainly would have damaged the eyes. However, the soft shell and lack of growth you are describing is very indicative of either an improper start where the newly hatched baby was too dry and not offered good foods early enough, OR possibly incubated at too high a temperature - which can also cause this.
Thank you for your condolences I really appreciate them. Also thank you for the info on the bulb. I would like to consider getting another tortoise when I feel I can open my heart to one again . What bulb would you recommend for that size enclosure or should I go with a larger enclosure instead?

ChumboWumbo

Middletown DE
I'm so very sorry we couldn't help him. But remember that his fate was sealed before you got him. There was nothing you could do to fix this.

I, too, hope that you will not let this heartbreaking experience deter you from getting another baby. There's one out there just waiting for you to come and get him.
Thank you ❤️ I’m trying to tell myself I did the best I could for him and I hope he loved a good life while he was with me. I have told myself that when the time comes another one will find me just like Chumbo did. I was so excited for a life long friend and I know there’s another one out there that wants the same and we’ll find eachother.

ChumboWumbo

Middletown DE
I am so very sorry for your loss, but you know now it wasn't due to anything you did or didn't do, and I hope you will feel able to consider getting another tortoise in the future. People here are very knowledgeable and helpful, and will be able to advise you when that time comes, and I'm sure you will be a very good and caring parent.
Angie
Thank you Angie ❤️

ChumboWumbo

Middletown DE
I’m not sure if I was able to reply to everyone who commented. I cannot thank you all enough for your help and condolences it truly makes me feel slightly better and that there is a community who loves these guys just as much as I do. I believe one will find me when the time is right. I currently just bought a new home with a large yard and was planning on building Chumbo a huge outdoor enclosure for the nicer months. I think I’m going to follow through with that in his memory so that when the time comes for another they will have a great spot. Once again thank you all for the kind and caring words ❤️