Please help (scratching eyes, not eating)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
If you can manage to get his mouth opened, and you see something, let me know immediately!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
You may even want to set him up with a "hospital tank" of sorts so you can monitor him. Even a plastic shoe box with moist paper towels a hide and heat might be advisable.
I would also offer him something small like a bottlecap filled with Pedialyte so it is available. I wouldn't give him a soaking dish while he seems blinded and weak.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
How do I check that
Have your wife hold him. Get a pair of tweezers, wait til he opens his mouth and stick the tweezers in his mouth so you can see if there's something there. Before you do that, is he still opening his mouth? If yes, he has something stuck in his throat! And it has to come out or he can die.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Be careful with the tweezers if you do try to inspect his throat - I always used a chopstick and a bright light so that I wouldn't accidentally han anything. If he's not gaping and gasping anymore I wouldn't do it because it can be stressful.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Have your wife hold him. Get a pair of tweezers, wait til he opens his mouth and stick the tweezers in his mouth so you can see if there's something there. Before you do that, is he still opening his mouth? If yes, he has something stuck in his throat! And it has to come out or he can die.

If you can't do it, take him to a vet asap!!! IF he has something in his throat, it's got to come out. Did you check his neck for anything that's not smooth?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Han = jab. Dumb phone. Also if you dear he inhaled water setting him at an angle with his butt up and head down can gently help clear his lungs.
Try to do what you can to keep him comfortable without poking and prodding too too much.

andybock

Looking into throat he opens it but not seeing anything going to keep trying to look

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Be careful with the tweezers if you do try to inspect his throat - I always used a chopstick and a bright light so that I wouldn't accidentally han anything. If he's not gaping and gasping anymore I wouldn't do it because it can be stressful.
Yes, I agree. If he's not gasping anymore, just pit him to sleep, bit monitor him from time to time. I would take him to the vet immediately. But, if he's gasping, you have to do something. I agree, use chopsticks and a small light so you can inspect his throat. First check the outside part of his neck because this would be stressful foe him, and the poor baby is going through enough. Btw, get rid of the substrate with the twigs.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
At a vet's office, they may try to put him to sleep in order to remove whatever is stuck there. They can x-ray his neck which would definitely either rule an obstruction out, or confirm it. That would be ideal. I just hope he makes it through the night.

andybock

He willingly opens his mouth but really not seeing any obstruction poor baby :( I am still looking to make sure

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Is there a veterinary hosp near you with emergency hours?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Is there a veterinary hosp near you with emergency hours?

If not, can you try lifting his bottom up and at an angle to see if that helps, like LaDuke said. Is he still gasping?

andybock

He's not gasping at the moment I did notice a couple times he had bubbles in his throat

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I think there's nothing more you can do tonight. Let the poor baby rest and sleep. In the morning take him in, okay?

When you put him in his sleeping spot, see if you can place something small under his butt so that he can be leaning slightly downwards. If there's water in his lungs, this may help get it out.

andybock

He leaning down and put his head into his shell.. He does that every night seems like he's doing ok. Thank you soooo much for all your help. You guys have really calmed me and made it alot better

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
He's not gasping at the moment I did notice a couple times he had bubbles in his throat
Okay, it looks like he took some water in the lungs. Bubbles in his mouth is not good. I've seen this before, and he's having trouble breathing. Either there's an obstruction or water got into his lungs, or both. Try to put him butt raised and at an angle and lightly tap his top shell, left aide and right side. See if bubbles come out.