PLEASE HELP new neonate redfoot mommy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
RE: sick neonate on Baytril PLEASE HELP!!! (nervous)

Do not stop administering that antibiotic until you have used every injection or until you speak with your vet (they should be able to tell you what the full course is, i.e. 10 days vs. 14). Ceasing an antibiotic prior to completing the full course is a great way to create antibiotic-resistant pathogens and it's one of my greatest pet peeves next to being prescribed antibiotics for a viral infection.

I had a hatchling that weighed ~45 g on Baytril this summer and s/he has made a full recovery and is growing like a weed! They're tougher than you think. Keep administering the Baytril and you can force feed every day or every other day until the tort starts eating again. Baytril does make them feel pretty cruddy, so don't panic if your tortoise doesn't eat for a day or two following all the injections. Feel free to spoil the little guy/gal rotten until s/he eats. I tempted mine with Mazuri, strawberries, and mushrooms over a 3-day period until s/he finally gave in and started eating independently.

I should add, welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about the sick little one!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
RE: sick neonate on Baytril PLEASE HELP!!! (nervous)

Welcome, and sorry to read that your baby isn't feeling good. Just wait until the vet gets back to you. If she doesn't call back, call again and again I
until she answers your questions. And, if she takes her time getting back to you, next time, find another vet. As far as continuing the meds., did you say that your tort already had 10 days of injections? I know that when i had to give antibiotics to my tort, the vet gave me more injections than was prescribed. If you have given the 10 days prescribed, then you should stop because the vet.didn't prescribe 14+ days of medicine.

deer_tribe_gold

5 Year Member
I stopped after 14 days and now notice he is scratching his eyes and blinking alot. this is so frustrating. what should I do now since he is done with his meds? he eats now but i just dont want for him to get another infection.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
You Need To Talk Us Through Your Enclosure And Diet Thoroughly.
Exact Temperature..
Exact Humidity..
Whats His Diet?
What Substrate Is It On?
Does Your Vet Specialize In Tortoises?
Where Did You Get Your Tort From?
How Often Is He Soaked?
How Often Do You Handle Him?

If Not Already, For A Sick Tortoise You Should Bump The Temps Up Abit.
In The Shell Pic It Looked Like He Had/Has Shell Rot, Which Can Cut Into The Shell If Not Treated
The Humidity Has To Be 80+ if Not This Can Be A Potential Cause Of The Illness.

Status
Not open for further replies.