PLEASE HELP new neonate redfoot mommy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

deer_tribe_gold

5 Year Member
I just received my neonate redfoot approximately a week ago. His temperature during the day is around 85 on the hot side and 70 on the dry side. At night his CHE light is about 65 to 70 degrees. He is two inches and about a couple of months old I suppose. I have hides on both sides of his Rubbermaid HUGE home he resides in and he has a water dish to soak in which I change daily. Since I am a new mother I had a couple of questions regarding my tortoise.

1. He doesn't seem to eat alot! Is this normal? Literally a bite or two a day!!!!! I have Fluckers diet food that I try to add to his mixed greens or strawberry's but he doesn't seem interested.

2. Should I sprinkle D3 on his meals daily?

3. What would be a good day by day schedule regarding food that I can rely on so I can refer back to it?

Thank you for all feedback! :tort:

Senny.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Greenfield, In.
Just give'n a bump. I don't know about care'n for Redfoots. But plenty people on here do. I wouldn't do the D3 powder everyday tho. I would do some searching on here about care for Redfoot's as I'm sure you will find some great info.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
http://turtletary.com/main.htm redfoot pictures and a lot of information. I own a yellow foot and an eastern box turtle how ever for diet try spring mix salad has safe greens to feed, also mix in callard greens, mustard greens, romain lettuce, kale from time to time, spinach I feed once every 2 weeks.

How is your humdity? Do you have hides in your enclosure? Try to keep the temp high 70's on the cool side and mid to high 80's with a basking spot about 90 yout humdity should be 80% keep it as high as possible. Hot and humid will get it moving making it eat more it needs heat to digest its food. At night. Maybe let it drop to 75. Deffinitly check out that site worth the time reading for red foots

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
I recommend keeping a CHE on at all times plus a Mercury Vapor Bulb for basking during the day time. Like said above you need to keep the humidity high, 80+ if possible.

As far as feeding a very helpful recommendation I've heard is to alternate foods: greens and veggies one day/ fruits the second/ greens and veggies the 3rd day/ fruits the 4th/ protein (mushrooms, chicken, mazuri) the 5th.. and so on.

Make sure since your redfoot is so little that you are soaking him in warm water daily so he stays hydrated.

deer_tribe_gold

5 Year Member
I soak him twice a day. He drinks plenty of water and is not shy AT ALL... could he just be getting used to his environment? He drinks plenty of water but just does not seem interested in food. I received him this past Tuesday, January 8th so I am not quite sure whats going on...he only eats a few bites of strawberries when I offer it and that is IT. Any other food he just walks away from. I still am not sure if I should feed him every day and if I should sprinkle D3 on each meal offered...

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
Yes feed everyday just not strawberrys. The d3calcium add once or 2 times a week. How long do you leave the food in? What size of pieces do you leave? What you might want to try to gain interest is place your tort in a container with the food in his enclosure or leave the food in there for a few hours your RF might walk away and hide but might come back out after

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Give him more fruits also, like blueberries, melons, papaya, mango, along with greens. Their temp needs to be at 90. Go to tortoiselibrary.com there is good info there for you..they also need protien once a week. I dont suggest boiled eggs...

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Feeding wise I feed fruit 1 day, weeds the next two and repeat. Every 2 weeks protein. To get him to eat, RF's neve refuse a mushroom.

deer_tribe_gold

5 Year Member
I tried putting him in the enclosure with his food and he still will not eat! He ONLY likes strawberries and refuses to eat anything else. I tried every single green there is and peppers....

deer_tribe_gold

5 Year Member
So, I found out what makes him eat which is also VERY dangerous! He only eats when the food is directly on the substrate!!!!!! what should I do?

deer_tribe_gold

5 Year Member
SICK NEONATE PLEASE HELP

So I received my redfoot tortoise about a week ago and there are a couple of strange things occurring. 1.He only eats when the food is on his substrate...im not kidding. If the food is in a bowl or even on a dish on the same level as the substrate he refuses to eat. 2. I just figured out that he likes food on the substrate today so he has not eaten in a couple of days. Therefore, he has not pooped in three days...could that be a result of him not eating?!? 3.He only opens his eyes now when I wash him in water. I just changed my substrate today from play sand and Sphagum Mulch to solely the mulch. I also got him eye ointment. His heats around 90 and I just ordered another UVB bulb online so he's going to be without one for a couple of days. I did this because I originally had a coil UVB which I heard causes eye infections. Any tips and or comments would be greatly appreciated!!

deer_tribe_gold

5 Year Member
1.He only eats when the food is on his substrate...im not kidding. If the food is in a bowl or even on a dish on the same level as the substrate he refuses to eat. 2. I just figured out that he likes food on the substrate today so he has not eaten in a couple of days. Therefore, he has not pooped in three days...could that be a result of him not eating?!? 3.He only opens his eyes now when I wash him in water. I just changed my substrate today from play sand and Sphagum Mulch to solely the mulch. I also got him eye ointment. His heats around 90 and I just ordered another UVB bulb online so he's going to be without one for a couple of days. I did this because I originally had a coil UVB which I heard causes eye infections. Any tips and or comments would be greatly appreciated!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: SICK NEONATE PLEASE HELP

Hi deer_tribe_gold:

Couple of things...the eyes might just be the residual effects of the coiled bulb. Also, redfooted tortoises need to have the temperature all across the habitat the same, around 80-85F degrees. 90F is a bit too hot in my opinion. Also, as you have learned, sand isn't good for redfooted tortoises. Get something that you can moisten, like orchid bark, cypress mulch or coco coir. Try putting the food close to the hiding place on a paper plate with the edge cut off or something flat. If the light is not what's causing the eyes to stay shut, then its because your tortoise isn't moist/humid enough.

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
I know some people lay down a slab of slate for their torts to eat off of, maybe he will eat off one of those..
Is he eating all varieties of food now?

Hopefully the warmth and MVB will help him! I also hope the coil bulb didn't hurt his eyes, it isn't a good sign that he won't open them. :(

Just make sure to give him soaks to be sure he isn't dehydrated.
I suggest posting some pics of him and maybe his enclosure so we can see if anything specific looks wrong.

deer_tribe_gold

5 Year Member

I took him to the vet and they said he had an infection. He had weird bubbles coming from his shell after they gave him an injection....but they are gone now. Now I have to force feed him and give him his meds with a syringe and hes terrified of me now what should I do?

deer_tribe_gold

5 Year Member
I took him to the vet and she feels like he has an infection! :( She gave him a shot which FREAKED HIM OUT!!! After the injection there were bubbles coming out of his shell which are gone now. Now he will not come out of his shell hes so scared, poor baby. I have to feed him and give him meds through a syringe which is near impossible. Now he's extremely shy and hides every time he sees me. Any suggestions on how to force feed a tortoise or get him to open his mouth willingly? Also any suggestions where I can show my tort that I'm family and not an enemy? :(

undefined

Also, does anyone know the BEST substrate to use for a redfoot? I am now using just sphagnum moss...is that ok? Or is it too dry for him and will it cause another infection?

Cece Deaton

5 Year Member
Portland Or
Try cutting up Banannas and putting it on greens also my red foot loves frozen veges mixed so I learned there spoiled and love it when you cook for them I slightly cook the greens or squash ect before I give my red foot them she seems to like them more also they only need to eat about 3 times a week and hard boiled egg every couple weeks can give good protein

deer_tribe_gold

5 Year Member

I took him to the vet and she feels like he has an infection! She gave him a shot which FREAKED HIM OUT!!! After the injection there were bubbles coming out of his shell which are gone now. Now he will not come out of his shell hes so scared, poor baby. I have to feed him and give him meds through a syringe which is near impossible. Now he's extremely shy and hides every time he sees me. Any suggestions on how to force feed a tortoise or get him to open his mouth willingly? Also any suggestions where I can show my tort that I'm family and not an enemy?
Also, does anyone know the BEST substrate to use for a redfoot? I am now using just sphagnum moss...is that ok? Or is it too dry for him and will it cause another infection?

Now he will not come out of his shell hes so scared, poor baby. I have to feed him and give him meds through a syringe which is near impossible. Now he's extremely shy and hides every time he sees me. Any suggestions on how to force feed a tortoise or get him to open his mouth willingly? Also any suggestions where I can show my tort that I'm family and not an enemy?
undefined

Status
Not open for further replies.