Please help! (need Russian info)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LacySweet

5 Year Member
I have done A TON of research on Greek Tortoises before purchasing one however while browsing Craigslist I found this little guy/girl for $50obo living in a 10 gallon aquarium and only eating grapes for the last year! Although my terrarium was not quite ready how could I say no? Now I am questioning if he is even a Greek? Can someone please help!?!?!ImageUploadedByTortForum1378828696.997702.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378828707.189240.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378828718.838478.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378828744.522904.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
RE: Please help!

Looks like one of my Russians but that only means that one of my Russians could be a Greek... I would lose the veggies and get him some dark leafy greens. What ever species he is, he is a cute little guy!

LacySweet

5 Year Member
Please help!

Thanks! So much for it being a male Greek! Now just to get it to eat something besides grapes

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas

Try dark green leafy stuff. dandelion, kale, arrugala (sp?)...Mine also seem to like cactus pads. Spring mix is good with little or no spinach. Garden weeds if you can find them are best.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country

Keep feeding it some grapes mixed in for awhile, and wean her slowly.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA

Do I see sand in your enclosure? If so, I would remove it as sand can cause an intestinal impaction. T-Rex cypress mulch is good as you can keep it moistened.

Your Russian is a real pretty one. I know you will enjoy her. Russians are great tortoises.

:)

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Mine (RT) loves deep organic topsoil mixed with coconut coir! When I look in his enclosure its like playing hide and seek! He wins hands down!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Please help!

Weaning slowly is one approach. To get her on greens you could try the grapes with romaine lettuce. As she takes to romaine you can wean her onto better greens by adding a little less of the old food and a little more of the new foods every couple of feedings. Eventually she will have a better diet.

Good luck let us know how it goes.

Sent from my TFOapp

LacySweet

5 Year Member
Ok changed the bedding no more sand but she is continuing to bump glass I am assuming because not only do I obviously have a glass aquarium but she has been in a ten gallon for a year with no way to walk around... She has yet to eat (not even a grape) she just seems very very stressed... While with her previous owners she was unable to even get in her water bowl so I'm assuming she doesn't know what to do with it... Anyone have any suggestions?

SpdTrtl

10 Year Member!
Austin, TX
I would cover the bottom of the sides so she can't see out. Helps to ease the stress

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I would also soak her in luke warm water for about 20 minutes each day for a week and then for twice a week. Try feeding dandelion flowers and leaves. And I would see if I could get her some outdoor time. But always give her the choice of sun or shade so she can self regulate her temperature.

The info regarding covering the glass will also help. Many of the keepers also advise a larger space for Russians because they like to roam and explore. Beware, they can dig and climb out of many escape proof enclosures both indoor and outdoor.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
She won't like her soak, but do it anyway. The worst thing for them is to be dehydrated.

Soak her daily for a week, then 2x per week if she is in an inside enclosure.
Give her a week or two to settle in (after covering the glass with newspaper or brown paper).
It can take them awhile to feel comfortable enough to want to eat.
Make sure she has at least a couple of hides.

ChaseNTx

5 Year Member
Xxxhnn
Gyhnn

Oooopps... Phone typed its own message while in my purse and I don't know how to delete yet.... My apologies!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Please help! (need Russian info)

ChaseNTx said:
Xxxhnn
Gyhnn

Oooopps... Phone typed its own message while in my purse and I don't know how to delete yet.... My apologies!

Hehe :cool: no worries.

Sent from my TFOapp

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Also verify your temps and lighting are correct. They should have a basking spot around 95-100 directly under the bulb, gradually cooling to room temp at the other end. No night heat, and darkness at night. Don't use the coil type UV bulbs as those can burn tortoise eyes. Make sure your lights are on for at least 13-14 hours a day, so your tortoise doesn't not think its fall and time to hibernate.

Status
Not open for further replies.