Please help, need advise. (doesn't eat)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Such a great idea to have one of these on hand in the event a Tortoise needs to come inside for health reasons or weather.
I have used larger pop up ones too in the winter for some outside winter grazing. I would only put them out in it when it was sunny and I also had a portable radiator heater I would turn in. They didnt get to stay out long but they did get out.
Yes, they are handy and make great enclosures. There are also some with hard plastic sides and a soft plastic top. I have used three different kinds.

Archie's mom

Groveland ny
Hi everyone....do you have space for a 50 gallon rubbermaid tote....I've seen here on the forum people use those. For food my Archie loves the Flukers tortoise diet colored pellets but won't touch the grassland ones even when I disguise them. Definitely soak and break up. I also tried small amounts of cooked sweet potato and squash (he really loved that) if you have a kitchen scale turn him upside down and weigh him once a week and monitor his weight to make sure he's not losing weight. From what I understand he needs to either hibernate or be awake and hibernation can be tricky plus I missed Archie when he was sleeping for days. Now he's awake ....runs around the house a couple times a day .....and eats like crazy

Archie's mom

Groveland ny
Quick after thought try putting stones in his enclosure under the light, they help hold the heat and Russians love to climb and push things around

Mumsmad123

Reading, Berkshire, England
On the food question my 16 month old Harmanns tortoise loves her Kimodo Tortoise Diet Pellets. I give her a small amount in the morning, soaked and soft. I give them plus assorted greens. When I got her on 18/10/19 she weighed 83gr she now weighs 146gr. I do weigh her every friday. I was just wondering if that weight gain was normal or am I doing something wrong?

Ane-Michelle

Evansville, IN
AB14380E-5D8B-4324-8EFE-EBF0DBC1B1D0.jpeg 10981806-8D69-47C6-81A8-08738F61C9EB.jpeg View attachment 284542 Well 10981806-8D69-47C6-81A8-08738F61C9EB.jpeg , so far so good we’ve given Leonard and heat lamp w/UVB light and some paver stones for him to bask on. Due to the kittens (when I came home yesterday both kittens were under the heat lamp and Leonard was under the bed, oh geez!) we have had to put him back in the aquarium which I know is not large enough for him but it keeps the kittens away and he seems ok. We’ve pushed all or most of the substrate to one side and have put the stones on the other where the heat is. He ate a little yesterday, a weed we pulled from outside and a piece of romaine. I decided to no longer offer him romaine regularly as I want him to eat a more nutritious diet and will be working on that moving forward. We’re just delighted that he’s awake again! I’ve been giving him warm baths daily and at night he goes to the side without heat and digs down in the about 6-7 inch substrate and stays there till mid-morning. So like I said, so far so good!! Here’s a couple of pics of our guy ❤️