Please help, My sulcata has a lumps on his neck

Clarissa

5 Year Member
I just bought my second sulcata 3 weeks ago and i just saw pink dots on his neck when i bought it and i though that's okay. But 2 days ago the lumps became bigger. I don't have expert vet reptiles here in my country only a general vet who used to cure cats and dogs. I used coco fiber for the substrate and humidity in his cage around ImageUploadedByTortForum1383066116.947981.jpg80%. Thank you! ImageUploadedByTortForum1383066077.079659.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Looks like a ant bite or something .Not sure

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It does look like some sort of bite. Some flies pierce the skin and lay an egg inside. The larva grows and makes a big bump. It eventually looks like a little volcano with a small caldera on top.

It's in a bad spot to treat, but I would try to smother the larva with vaseline.

Your cat/dog vet might be able to help you with this problem.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
Looks like a blister or pimple. Doesn't look like a bot fly which is the larva that barrows, there would be a hole in the middle. Just looks like a blister or pimple and a lot of puss build up sort of like a cystic pimple. If its anything like a cystic pimple it will need to be popped eventually because it wont just go away on it's own.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Insect bites can cause an inflammation like that. I would take if to the regular vet to see if he can recognized the bite. Are there spiders, fire ants, other insect that you may have noticed around his enclosure? Has his appetite changed? Is he still active and pooping like usual? In any case, the vet will know what to do.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Clay. If you have calcium bentonite clay available in your country, it will draw it out as well as give inflammation relief. It also increases blood flow to the area so it will heal faster once the impurity or toxin is drawn out. All clays can draw out but bentonite is part of the smectite clays and they are known for their healing properties. A little water, into a paste and pat it on. It will dry pretty quickly. It will wear off. Just keep applying daily. Should be a 3 day remedy. Also, in some countries toothpaste is made with calcium bentonite clay as the main ingredient. Get a toothpaste that has no mint in it so it will not be too strong a smell for little eyes and nose. It looks like if you watch it dry, you will be safe from it getting into eyes or ears. Simple clay would really be best. Good for people skin care also. So buying would be for tortoise and for you. : )