Please help my baby are dying ...

lovemysnapper

I just bought a 10 size common turtle for 2 days , and he wont eat any food ive feed him ,.. there are many red bruise apprear at his legs,arms and neck , his noise is tightened by something i dont know .... I ask some people who adopt many turtles and have experience with this . They said my turtle certainly will die for 2 or 3 up coming because a sick i dont know how to translate it from vietnamese . But if translate it follow literal meaning so its called Red Neck ... SOMEBODY PLZ HELP ME , THERE IS NO ANY ANIMAL DOCTOR IN VIETNAM AND I DONT WANT TO STAND I AND JUST SEEING MY LITTLE BABY DIE .... many appreciate for any advice plz and sr for my bad english ...

take a look : ...

17992244_289454484828389_5781991242769014568_n.jpg

18118824_289454534828384_2622526952787981868_n.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't know how to help you other than to advise to put him into shallow water so he doesn't have to swim to breathe, and keep him warm. You can position a light over the water to keep it warm. I'll send a shout-out to one of our water turtle folks here on the Forum - @Markw84

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry to this is happening. I can't really help you. Just want to wish you luck and hopefully Mark that Yvonne alerted can help.

Fresno, CA
hey...Don't even apologize for as you put it ..."and sr for my bad english ...'..... you did just fine trying to explain what your concern is. I suggest Mark too to help advise!! Very knowlegable on those little guys @Markw84 .

lovemysnapper

thanks you guys for helps me , i just put him into a pot and pour the water at 1,5cm , and threw it 3 biseptol pills . I dont know what can i do now . i trye to
intrude a small chicken morsel into his throat ... he may swallowed it . now he is dormant

eric joranson

Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
if you get the chance; try to; ( w/microscope if possible); examine the fecal matter; it could be a parasitic infection. Some parasites are visable to the eye; but many need to be seen with a microscope. There are medications to rid it of them. If you can get some fresh water minnows (small fish); you might try offering it to him. The smell of what is probably part of their diet in the wild might stimulate some interest

eric joranson

Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
the bruises you mentioned; they could be abscesses. Abscesses are very common in all reptiles including turtles and tortoises. The most common locations are the ears, legs, nasal passageways, jaw, and liver. Abscesses often present as hard lumps or swellings under the skin. Antibiotics are not usually very effective in controlling these abscesses, so surgical removal is the preferred method of treatment. . The abscess is opened, the pus is drained and the affected tissue flushed with a medicated cleansing solution. A culture of the abscess may be needed to determine the type of bacteria that caused the abscess. Topical medication, oral or injectable antibiotics may also be required.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
To see "bruises" or "red" on a Chelydra like that really makes me concerned that this turtle is septic, which means that even with vet care, the turtle has slim chance of survival. Given the lethargy and markings explained, I would say that this turtle is long overdue for antibiotics. Strange to see a Chelydra in this shape, as they can survive so much, but I assume the animal was exposed to some nasty pathogen in the Asian pet trade that it wouldn't have been as likely to experience here in the US.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I agree , the only chance I think that guy has is injectable antibiotics ........ maybe you can find a doctor to get you some fortaz (ceftazidime) , or some amikacin , those are people antibiotics ....... the dosages for most any antibiotic you get for turtles can be found on the internet .........

Fresno, CA
thanks you guys for helps me , i just put him into a pot and pour the water at 1,5cm , and threw it 3 biseptol pills . I dont know what can i do now . i trye to
intrude a small chicken morsel into his throat ... he may swallowed it . now he is dormant
hows your turtle doing? hope all is getting better!!!