Please help me

BrandyBrown

Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
Franklins also seemed to really like hangin outside in his pool !! And he loved getting exercise on the grass

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Those are not full aquatic species though. You have it set up for full aquatic. They need an area where they can get in semi deep water to soak, but not swim around. Lots of hides and very high humidity is required for this species. I hate to say this. But taking him in and out, and allowing him near your dog, was beyond stressful for him. We can help you get a proper enclosure set up before you get another one. But this species requires some adjusting and lots of detail on enclosures. I'd suggest something a little more introductory, like a box turtle or Russian tortoise.

AshleyTerron

Don't buy from turtle shack or turtle sale.com either because I bought 3 baby red eared sliders and they all died in 9 days. They had a sale (buy 1 get 2 free). At first I didn't know that turtle sale had lots of bad reviews. I have to be really careful now because most websites rip you off or trick you some way. I am really sorry. At least he's in a better place now. :<3:

BrandyBrown

Kentucky
The water only came up to the bottom of his shell... Whats the best possible way to keep a turtle ?! I feel so bad ! I killed my turtle :-( omg so so sorry franklin !

BrandyBrown

Kentucky
And my dog never came in contact with him ... She jus put her nose up to the glass :) and when he would go in the po.... My dog would sit on my all and would jus watch him !

BrandyBrown

Kentucky
Don't buy from turtle shack or turtle sale.com either because I bought 3 baby red eared sliders and they all died in 9 days. They had a sale (buy 1 get 2 free). At first I didn't know that turtle sale had lots of bad reviews. I have to be really careful now because most websites rip you off or trick you some way. I am really sorry. At least he's in a better place now. :<3:
That's sad :-( I'm sorry for ur loss!! So sad how people treat these cool creatures !

Turtlepete

South Florida
Agree with Kelly. You made a couple mistakes, but can't blame you for what you can't change. We can help you do it properly next time, though.
What you really need is a large enclosure, that isn't fully aquatic. Ambo's I believe usually like maybe 60% land - 40% water? Am I right, Kelly? I don't keep this species in specific, but know a few people that do. I hear they are the most aquatic of the Cuora.
What I would suggest is either a very large rubbermaid tub. The tub would be cheaper. Honestly, the best solution would be to make a box and line it with a pond liner. Make a frame out of 2x4's, put plywood on the inside, line it with a pond liner to waterproof it. 4x4 would be a good size, probably. Do about half of it a water section, sloping to a little deeper water, half of it a land section. Whole habitat needs high humidity, 80-90%, and high temps, maybe in the low 80's-high 70's. This means that you basically need to cover the entire habitat. Called "closed chambers" typically.
Basically, warm, humid, spacious, half water-half land, plenty of plants to feel secure, as far as habitat goes. Buy a CB yearling this time around, and he will do a lot better.
If he was wild caught, then he was for sure loaded with parasites. Unfortunately, allowing him to interact with your dog would've stressed him out. This lowers their immune system and weakens their ability to fight off parasites….Just remember, so you know what mistakes not to make next time. Limit handling initially until the turtle is settled in and feeding well.

BrandyBrown

Kentucky
What kind of turtle would u guys suggest for me ?! I want to have a happy little guy! But I don't want them to be happy!!!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Ambos have very long necks. They like to hang out underwater, feet on the ground, and stick their heads out among the floating plants. They need water deep enough to cover them & swim in, and they need an aquarium heater. They do like to bask & need dry land. They are shy and like a hide or cave. A stock tank is a better choice than an aquarium.

They need powerful filters to keep the water clean, far more powerful than the amount of water it's rated for. Dirty water can be fatal. They need to eat in the water.

They like some live food - worms & slugs, and minnows - but mostly live on reptomin or quality pellets, with lettuce or greens, floating plants like duckweed, water lettuce or water iris, and the occasional apple slice. (Mine only eats it peeled.)

Mine does not like to be handled.

That's what I know. Hope it's useful.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
And just for the record, 99% of adult/sub-adult turtles of this particular species that you find for sale are going to be wild caught. Snakes at Sunset did not do anything that isn't completely within normal scope of practice in this hobby. Any time certain species are purchased, they should be given an immediate vet check/fecal exam to see exactly what is going on ahead of time. It was probably too late for your turtle by the time you got him, but that should be the game plan when buying on of those species such as this, or Russian or Forsten's Tortoises that are undoubtedly wild caught if purchased as adults/sub-adults.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
The water only came up to the bottom of his shell... Whats the best possible way to keep a turtle ?! I feel so bad ! I killed my turtle :-( omg so so sorry franklin !
Don't beat yourself up, you may have made some mistakes but I don't think you actually killed your turtle. He was probably sick before you got him and could not handle the stress of a new situation. Take some time, do some research, decide what species you would like to get and then find a reputable place to get it, also rescues are good place. This site has some great information and kind people that will answer your questions. I have a Russian tortoise and a three toed box turtle and I love them both, and I have made mistakes with both. But I continue to research and learn and do the best I can for them. So hang in there and keep us posted on your new turtle when you get him.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Your dog was fascinated by your turtle. It wasn't love. It probably stressed the turtle. One if the most common mistakes we make is attributing feelings to our critters and misinterpreting their behavior. I'm not saying they don't have feelings, I'm saying we're often wrong about what they feel.

I'm not trying to be harsh, just encouraging you to have better results next time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Regarding the dog looking at the turtle through the glass...just remember, if you can see the turtle, he can see the dog.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yeah those guys can be tough especially imports. More terrestrial with a very large water bowl essentially.

I'd suggest a box turtle. They're great animals, stay small and packed with personality. Pretty cheap and easy to take care of. You can even use your tank you have now to set it up.

turtlelou

5 Year Member
I would only suggest a boxie if you can house it outdoors. I don't think a tank is a way to live for them...unless they are young.

Shakudo

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
Hello,

First of all I am very sorry for your loss.
Second, if you would like to try again, I agree with the suggestions made.

I you want to go for a tortoise, perhaps a Russian tortoise or other Box turtle would be a good choice, just make sure you do the research on how to keep them so you can give them the proper husbandry.

If you want to go for a turtle, I suggest a musk turtle, they are very funny, charismatic and relatively easy to keep, also they tend to remain at a smaller size than for example, sliders and cooters.

Musk turtles are almost fully aquatic but need an island to get out of the water for basking or other activities.

I wish you the best of luck and take care, I hope you have better luck in the future.

Joey