Please Help Me I.D.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
When I get a call from someone wanting to turn in a snapper, I generally refuse the turtle because they are illegal here in California. I would have to, first of all, find someone back east who is willing to take the turtle - where the turtle is native - then package it up and ship it to them I run my operation on a shoestring. I don't have the money to send turtles in the mail.

I got a call from a gal who picked up a hatchling a few years ago off the roadway while they were on vacation in Ohio. They've only recently realized it's a snapper and illegal here in California. She wants me to take the turtle because it's getting too big for their aquarium.

I wanted to make sure it really is a snapper so I asked her for pictures. These are what she sent me, but they're too murky for me to really see the turtle well enough to say for sure that it's a snapper. Anyone out there able to see them well enough to make a good judgement call? It sort of looks like a snapper, but then again, it sort of looks like a mud turtle:

snapper a.jpg snapper b.jpg snapper c.jpg snapper d.jpg

I guess after seeing that one picture with the tail showing it IS a snapper, right?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm having trouble finding the name of someone back east who will take him. I've contacted a guy I know in Bakersfield who is on the executive board of CTTC and he was no help. I have a call into Kevin in the San Jose area. He's a tortoise rescue who works with the Department of Fish and Wildlife, and he hasn't returned my call. I know if we turn the turtle over to the Fish and wildlife folks they will euthanize it. I don't want that.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
I'm having trouble finding the name of someone back east who will take him. I've contacted a guy I know in Bakersfield who is on the executive board of CTTC and he was no help. I have a call into Kevin in the San Jose area. He's a tortoise rescue who works with the Department of Fish and Wildlife, and he hasn't returned my call. I know if we turn the turtle over to the Fish and wildlife folks they will euthanize it. I don't want that.
Why are you looking back east? Just cause they are illegal to have in CA?