Please help me figure out an appropriate setup for my 9 yr old painted turtle

FreddieKrueger

5 Year Member
I'm not sure what I should get, she's currently in a 30 gallon fish tank, way too small. She is outside 5 months of the year in our pond.

Should I get one of those turtle tub made by zoo med, an actual reptile tank, or a larger fish tank? I was thinking maybe 75 gallons would be appropriate, but a lot of wasted space in height.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm wondering why you can't let the turtle stay in the pond over the winter? They do hibernate. I have a pond full of turtles and they all stay there during the winter.

FreddieKrueger

5 Year Member
I don't want to take the chance. It's risky, especially when you get the random 70f day and they come out of hibernation and the pond is not deep enough for that anyway. It's a man made pond and there is no mud for her to burrow in. What's the best setup I should get?

Lemonade

5 Year Member
I think you posted this in the wrong forum. I wonder if you ever got any help.

domagoj

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Croatia
I'm wondering why you can't let the turtle stay in the pond over the winter? They do hibernate. I have a pond full of turtles and they all stay there during the winter.
I used to do that for 5 years. Last winter I lost all of my turtles. I wouldn't recommend it.