Please help (lost tortoise)

Sunsetfarm328

Location (City and/or State)
Ft Washington Pa
I have had my Russian tortoise Boris, for 10 years. I have a nice pen with a picture window for him and a large outdoor pen for nice summer days to run around and burrow in. He also runs the house very happily coming back to his pen for breakfast after spending the night roaming. He was very restless the last week and then I couldn’t find him anywhere. He never went down steps but I think he may have ventured out the door when it got left open:(. I think the restlessness was him getting ready to hibernate and perhaps was so determined to find dirt that he might have gone down the step to get outside. Is there any way to find him? I thought of getting blood hounds to sniff him out but I am pretty sure he is buried somewhere around the yard. I’m afraid he won’t survive the winter or I will miss him when he comes out? Any suggestions? I Love this little guy so much and am heartbroken that I may not find him.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
When tortoises escape, they don't go into hiding because they know they've escaped.
They're still going to act like a normal tortoise....And that's a key to locating them.
They're looking for food and cover.
Place some food in an open area. Maybe several places.
And search along walls, fencelines and near trees and under bushes.
Also, if there are any children in the neighborhood, offer a reward.
Children often locate them.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
I wouldn’t rule out that he isn’t trying to find a place to brumate in your house. Search under everything.

Clueless Tortoise

Raleigh, NC
Russians are diggers, so if he got cold, his natural instinct is to burrow under something. I agree with what Tom said, offer food ( I say his favorite treat ) in multiple places. I see ur in PA, so the temps are most likely lower rn, which can actually help you out. He prob is close because he may have gotten a little cold and just found the closet warm spot he could find. I really doubt he's roaming all around. Try looking under bushes and shrubs. Anything that he could fit under really. Start closet to your home / his enclosure, and work out from there. Wishing u all the best! Keep us updated!!!! :<3: ? ?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Torts love cucumber and the smell of it can attract their attention. Try putting some of that or some other food he likes outside - maybe under a colander or similar to see if it draws him out. Hope you find him soon.