Please Help! (Loose stool)

queen koopa

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas Nevada
since it’s just good bacteria I don’t see why it would be a problem. I did notice a tiny improvement in his stool this morning. So that makes me hopeful. Im brand new to tortoises and I just wanna make sure I’m doing the best I can for him. I’ve done a lot of research and watched a lot of videos. But like with just about any other animal out there everyone seems to have different opinions on how to “properly” care for the animal. So it can be confusing and a little overwhelming at times.
100% agree. Trust me.... I know exactly what you mean. I bought a book on Sulcatas, googled every day, watched Kamp Keenan for weeks until I actually found and learned how to use this forum. As you do more reading and searching on this forum you find the stuff your looking for and who you can go straight to for answers. I’ve messaged Yvonne about my tortoise choking and she got right back to me!! ?

Last edited:

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Hello Tokyo,

You are correct. There is virtually nothing in the Bene-Bac other than beneficial bacteria which the animal needs in its gut to digest its food properly. The Bene-Bac was first recommended to me in the mid-1990's by a well known REPTILE VET who back then had been the only person in the US to keep several species of very rare SE Asian turtles and tortoises alive in the US. Many of the animals had experienced horrendous conditions in Chinese food markets before he received them and were severely debilitated. He felt it was instrumental in their care, so I didn't hesitate to use it and I am a health care provider (for humans) myself for whatever that is worth.

It is completely safe and it works. All you need to do is sprinkle the powder on the food you are giving the tortoise. I would recommend giving it to the tortoise after it has been soaked on the first food of the day so as much of it as possible is eaten. Give it for two days, then wait about 10-14 days and repeat as needed.

You will get many opinions here. Don't be unduly swayed by the alarmist ones.
I guess I am alarmed when vets recommend probiotics for tortoises that are used for dogs and other mammals.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I guess I am alarmed when vets recommend probiotics for tortoises that are used for dogs and other mammals.
Hello @queen koopa ,

I guess you didn't read my post recommending the Bene-Bac very thoroughly. There are two formulations of Bene-Bac. One is for mammals and the other is for reptiles and birds. I recommended the latter formulation both in the first sentence of the third paragraph and in the posted link. Look back at post #11 to read what I actually said. Also view the link. The title of the link states the product I mentioned is for Birds and Reptiles as does the script in the green line above the name of the product in the photo.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Hello @queen koopa ,

I guess you didn't read my post recommending the Bene-Bac very thoroughly. There are two formulations of Bene-Bac. One is for mammals and the other is for reptiles and birds. I recommended the latter formulation both in the first sentence of the third paragraph and in the posted link. Look back at post #11 to read what I actually said. Also view the link. The title of the link states the product I mentioned is for Birds and Reptiles as does the script in the green line above the name of the product in the photo.
Yeah, the Bird & Reptile one. That was the screen shot of ingredients I posted. Some of those pre and probiotics are used for dogs in dog food and other supplements. Not to mention other animals. Then for instructions it lumps all birds and reptiles in groups by size. No species specific? Lizards and tortoises are not the same species. I just feel this is not something to give to a tortoise.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Yeah, the Bird & Reptile one. That was the screen shot of ingredients I posted. Some of those pre and probiotics are used for dogs in dog food and other supplements. Not to mention other animals. Then for instructions it lumps all birds and reptiles in groups by size. No species specific? Lizards and tortoises are not the same species. I just feel this is not something to give to a tortoise.
You are entitled to your opinion, but my own personal experience over many years plus several qualified REPTILE VETS who are my personal friends tell me it is fine to use with tortoises.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Your apparent lack of knowledge on this subject is evident.

There is no species specific dosing for beneficial bacteria. To help boost a possible deficiency in beneficial bacteria, a simple amount by weight alone is all that is of consideration. For babies with a sterile environment start. For a tortoise after an antibiotic treatment. For relocated tortoises whose systems have not had a chance to adjust to the environmental idiosyncrasies of a new environment. Etc, etc. As stated one gram has a guaranteed 20 million starter colony units. In vertebrates (of any kind's) body, there are billions of beneficial bacteria. The probiotic here is only a starter colony to jump start what may be lacking. This is not medication. Your body, and any animal's body, is constantly adjusting and changing the types of bacteria we carry based upon the geography, type of physical activity, diet, and health. Probiotics is a great way to help and accelerate that process if there has been any change. Many metabolic functions and digestive processes cannot happen without the beneficial bacteria that is needed to assist.

Dr Zovich is one of the premiere experts in tortoise care in the world. I pay attention any time he will spend the time to reply and help on this forum.