PLEASE HELP IDENTIFYING MY SPECIES OF TURTLE OR TORTOISE

Status
Not open for further replies.

DjAyy

20161016_205607.jpg 20161016_205558.jpgcan somebody please help? Is this a turtle or a tortoise? If you know please tell me what species and how you know thank you.

Attachments

• 20161016_205552.jpg
    20161016_205552.jpg
    468.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20161016_205543.jpg
    20161016_205543.jpg
    604.3 KB · Views: 14

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
It looks like a desert tortoise to me. Wait for confirmation.

The difference between tortoises and turtles is that turtles live in water some of the time and tortoises live on land.

DjAyy

Ok thanks. Any info on this would be great if you can positively identify it. How to take care of it, diet, tips.. I really want to take good care of it.

DjAyy

Also how do you know its a tortoise? My farther in law says its an eastern box turtle.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Also how do you know its a tortoise? My farther in law says its an eastern box turtle.
No it's not an eastern box turtle, definitely a tortoise. I don't think it's a desert either. . Possibly a gopher tortoise. Pics not really good on my phone though

Last edited by a moderator:

DjAyy

Ok thanks. If you can positively identify it it would really be appreciated. And any tips on how to properly take care of it to make sure this little guy has a nice long life. :)

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Ok thanks. If you can positively identify it it would really be appreciated. And any tips on how to properly take care of it to make sure this little guy has a nice long life. :)
Someone will be able to positively identify it soon and then they can point you to the caresheets. If not soon, when I can get to a computer I can see the pic better. Did you find it?

DjAyy

no, a friend of mine couldent take care of it anymore i told him id take it. i just want to be able to take good care of it.

DjAyy

ive searched all over the internet and i came to the same conclusion as you. it is extremely close looking to the desert tortoise.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Since you are in Florida, I'm betting it is a gopher or Florida tortoise, which is a type of desert tortoise found there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Gopher tortoises are federally protected. It is illegal to possess this tortoise.

Here in CA we have to get a permit to keep our species of Gopherus. I'm not sure what your laws are in FL.

Berkeley

I believe it is a Leopard Tortoise.

Gopher tortoises are federally protected. It is illegal to possess this tortoise.

Here in CA we have to get a permit to keep our species of Gopherus. I'm not sure what your laws are in FL.

Nope, Tom is right. It is a gopher tortoise, Gopherus polyphemus. And in Florida it is illegal to keep it. The tortoise needs to be released where it was found.

--Berkeley

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I , too, though i am not an expert, think this is a Gopherus.
Releasing it where it was found, if the place is safe, may seem necessary, but it if not, or if it is a captive bred tortoise it will probably die if released.
Difficult.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Nope, Tom is right. It is a gopher tortoise, Gopherus polyphemus. And in Florida it is illegal to keep it. The tortoise needs to be released where it was found.

--Berkeley
The problem is they said someone gave it to them that couldn't care for it any longer, I don't think it can just be released now.

Status
Not open for further replies.