Please help (closed eyes)

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
And just to be clear my new setup is as follows temperature is 84-85 79-83 degrees throughout the entire tub, Temperature is a CHE and humidity controlled system on a thermostat and humidity gauge.. with a basking spot of 100-105 95-99 with a rock base under the heat lamp a different new CHE set on a 14 13 hour timer with a normal-non coil household bulb... the humidity is at 75-80rh with the use of reptile foggers, I mist them by hand 2x a day... coco core substrate.I have them outside in the sun once a week for a few hours.. so I don’t have a uv bulb in any of the enclosures. (But I can still change that)
Will you get enough UV light time outside this winter where you live? You may want to get a T5 HO lite for winter.

luke2431

pensacola, fl
So first off there are no vets in my area and I called all the normal vets and the will not see me, I can’t drive 150+ miles due to my own health issues but I honestly don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

I have 4 baby tortoises, 2 leopards and 2 sulcata all hatchlings. They all have separate 50gallon setups. I got them on September 29th from LLLReptiles

The temperature is 84-85 degrees throughout the entire tub, Temperature and humidity controlled system.. with a basking spot of 100-105 with a rock base under the heat lamp set on a 14 hour timer... the humidity is at 75-80rh with the use of reptile foggers, I soak them once a day in a mix of carrot and water. I mist them by hand 2x a day... coco core substrate.. I have wheat grass planted throughout the enclosures for grazing. And have been feeding them spring mix, clover and alfalfa sprouts, cactus pads, and original Mazuri, and I give them calcium 2x a week. I have them outside in the sun once a week for a few hours.. so I don’t have a uv bulb in any of the enclosures. (But I can change that)

The issue is they are sleeping all day. The two leopards will not eat or open their eyes. One sulcata sleeps all day and the other one (the only one that still walks most of the day) is bloated. What am I doing wrong.. am I killing them somehow? Please help me I cannot go through losing a group of tortoises again. (I lost two babies about 6-7 years ago and completely stopped with tortoises except frank who is my mbd rescue) tell me how to fix this please. Photos included of my setup

View attachment 282906View attachment 282907View attachment 282908View attachment 282909View attachment 282910View attachment 282911View attachment 282912View attachment 282913View attachment 282914View attachment 282915View attachment 282916
It is normal for babies to sleep 18 to 22 hours a day.

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
What does each tortoise weigh, and how is their appetite?

Honestly a scale is the only thing I forgot, I thought I had one but I can’t find it. (I know how much I need one I really Did think I already had one) I will be able to get one when I get paid in about 5 days... (I’ve already spent probably over 500$ on them just to get them set up) All of the tortoises had a low to non existent appetite, but that has changed slightly in the past couple days without the heat bulb.
And they are now opening their eyes more and eating better. I also think it may be possible they haven’t been getting enough uv because of a cold spell in my area. Which may have just worsened the issues I already had.

Yes, Hatchlings spend the majority of their time hiding and sleeping. Especially when you first get them and they're not used to their surroundings.
It is normal for babies to sleep 18 to 22 hours a day.

I totally understand that they are infants (of another species) but still just babies, they NEED sleep. (I have 2 human children and literally 50+ animals I’ve raised myself) I can tell when something is wrong... My issue is that they wouldn’t open their eyes at all, not to walk, not when being soaked and then they all stopped eating. I think that the light was too hot and bright for them and on top of that because of a cold spell in my area they haven’t had enough uv. I took them outside 2 days in a row for 2 hours each day and now they seem to be improving on their energy and appetite. I am getting the uv on Tuesday and it will be installed that day.

I am in No way doubting you guys I just can’t handle my last experience with babies happening again. I now know to trust my gut when it comes to babies no matter what species they are.

honestly I think I may have caught it in time. I’m only saying this because I’m hopeful and because I asked for help immediately and realized the issue immediately. last time I was stubborn and thought that asking for help was failing, I also had no idea what signs to look for with babies. I know I’m not perfect but if I can do anything I won’t let pride or my feelings stand in the way of these tortoises living. I know this might sound weird but after I had my human children I find that I can honestly understand infants of most other species. All babies do the same thing, eat, sleep, poop, learn and grow.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I don't know if this was covered but you said you use coco coir. I also used coco coir when Opo was younger but I put a couple of inches of 100%cypress mulch on top. As fine as coco coir is maybe it's irritating the eyes. You could use repti bark also.

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
So here is my update, when I removed the heat blub their eyes stopped getting worse. Yay! But they still where not getting better, then I got these eye drops for turtles from amazon, and they finally started to open their eyes.. YAY! But they still wouldn’t walk around or eat, their eyes where only open during soaking and when I applied the eye drops.. so I put in UV and almost immediately they all became active, started looking for food and getting in their water. So they are now doing a lot better thanks to all of your advice. I know I’m not out of the woods but to go from dying tortoises to them Trying to live gives me so much hope!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
So here is my update, when I removed the heat blub their eyes stopped getting worse. Yay! But they still where not getting better, then I got these eye drops for turtles from amazon, and they finally started to open their eyes.. YAY! But they still wouldn’t walk around or eat, their eyes where only open during soaking and when I applied the eye drops.. so I put in UV and almost immediately they all became active, started looking for food and getting in their water. So they are now doing a lot better thanks to all of your advice. I know I’m not out of the woods but to go from dying tortoises to them Trying to live gives me so much hope!
Great news!

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So very happy to hear this. Keep up the good work!!

Florida

Florida
I'm new to Sulcatas as well so some of my trial and error may cause debate by others but here is what I have found that works best for my little guys. Why? Mostly, because I let them tell me what they liked instead of me constantly trying to guess and changing things. First, I ended up moving the heat and UV lamps center/one end of the pen. I put their hide under it along with their basking rock. The other cooler end is where I put their food bowl and their soak tray. Misting every morning and adding abot a quart of water to thir flooring, these guys are in heaven. They showed me what they wanted. I gave it to them and they are happy. They have also dug two tunnels the length of the tank so no I get to see them go back and forth. I take them outside daily for 30 minutes of sunshine.

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
I’m so excited, for the first time in weeks one of my tortoises woke up and started eating without me soaking or putting in the eye drops. Chip woke up with the lights and just started mowing the grass!!! The others are still bad (not as bad as they once where) but this little guys is trying. He’s eating soooo much. YAY!

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m so excited, for the first time in weeks one of my tortoises woke up and started eating without me soaking or putting in the eye drops. Chip woke up with the lights and just started mowing the grass!!! The others are still bad (not as bad as they once where) but this little guys is trying. He’s eating soooo much. YAY!

So glad to hear this. Keep up the good work.

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
What are you growing in your enclosure and where did you get it....is it good for Russians
I’m not sure on if it’s safe for that species but I just planted some clover sprouts and wheat grass. Now I have seeds from grow organic but I won’t be planting for a while