Please help- choosing a tortoise, suitable enclosure-I have cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

supermum

5 Year Member
I have wanted a tortoise ever since I was small, finally I am able to get one, I have until August to do my research and get things ready, I know thats ages away but I want to be prepared beforehand.

I would need a small breed of tortoise as he/she would live indoors, there will be access to outside in the warmer months, I am interested in either a horse field tortoise or a Hermann tortoise, in your opinion which of these would be best for a first time owner? Or are there any other smaller breeds that would be more suitable?

As I said in my title I have 2 cats, would I be able to use an indoor animal cage as an enclosure? or is there anything I can do to cat proof a tortoise table? My cats will never ever be left alone with my tortoise but I don't want any split second accidents either. I also have 2 dogs but they have never bothered with any of the other small pets we have so I don't think they would bother with a tortoise, again though they are never left unattended with any of my pets or children.

I have read up about the heat and lightning needs, can any one help with the best way to ensure these needs are met, I am getting confused with the talk of all in one bulbs, and seperate basking and lighting bulbs and thermometers etc. I want to make sure I get it right.

I have read up about what they can eat and whats poisonous but again what is the ultimate diet? Which foods should they have daily and which should be treats only, can anyone give an example of a weekly diet they feed? (again I want to get it right)

Also would I be better getting an hatchling or an older tortoise? Whats the best age to buy one at?

If anyone can help I would be very grateful, I will of course be continuing to put my own research in, i'm just hoping to narrow it down to one breed and read as much as I can between now and when I get my baby. Thank you for reading x

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
: Looking for some help in choosing a tortoise and suitable enclosure as I have cats.

I think Hermanns are the better looking, but that Russians may be just a tiny tad bit hardier of the two. Either way, it's not that big of a difference to cause you to pick one over the other. I think older tortotoises are better for a first time owner. Once more that's not a huge difference. Older do also seem to be easier to find, unless you have a moral issue with getting a WC (wild caught).

I have cat's two and we make our own lids. The ones you buy for aquariusms are not able to hold up to the weight of cats jumping on them, plus they don't allow the UVB rays in well enough. The main issue is cats like to use the substrate as a potty, then the tortoises love eating the manure. :rolleyes: Also make sure the cats can not get directly under the light or it's hood. I had a cat have it's hair get too close and it started to burn the fur. That could have been serious for the cat, not to mention a possible fire start. :(

Some of like the lighting and diet questions are going to be better answered once we know which age your planning on having your tortoise be.

jmhoesch

5 Year Member
hey!

supermum said:
I have wanted a tortoise ever since I was small, finally I am able to get one, I have until August to do my research and get things ready, I know thats ages away but I want to be prepared beforehand.

I would need a small breed of tortoise as he/she would live indoors, there will be access to outside in the warmer months, I am interested in either a horse field tortoise or a Hermann tortoise, in your opinion which of these would be best for a first time owner? Or are there any other smaller breeds that would be more suitable?

As I said in my title I have 2 cats, would I be able to use an indoor animal cage as an enclosure? or is there anything I can do to cat proof a tortoise table? My cats will never ever be left alone with my tortoise but I don't want any split second accidents either. I also have 2 dogs but they have never bothered with any of the other small pets we have so I don't think they would bother with a tortoise, again though they are never left unattended with any of my pets or children.

I have read up about the heat and lightning needs, can any one help with the best way to ensure these needs are met, I am getting confused with the talk of all in one bulbs, and seperate basking and lighting bulbs and thermometers etc. I want to make sure I get it right.

I have read up about what they can eat and whats poisonous but again what is the ultimate diet? Which foods should they have daily and which should be treats only, can anyone give an example of a weekly diet they feed? (again I want to get it right)

Also would I be better getting an hatchling or an older tortoise? Whats the best age to buy one at?

If anyone can help I would be very grateful, I will of course be continuing to put my own research in, i'm just hoping to narrow it down to one breed and read as much as I can between now and when I get my baby. Thank you for reading x

We have 4 persians and just got a brand new Greek tortoise on Sat for my daughters birthday. The tank we're using is an "exo-terra" brand. You can go online and look at them. They are really big and spacious but not as big as a torti table. We have ours on top of our daughters entertainment center. The cats cat jump on it. The entire top is a mesh/metal and ventilates great and gets the light thru beautifully. It's a balmy 95 degrees on the basking side. I've got a picture up on one of my threads from yesterday

supermum

5 Year Member
Looking for some help in choosing a tortoise and suitable enclosure as I have cats.

Thank you for your replies, if older is better then I have no problem looking for an older one, I have only come across babies so far from private breeders but I haven't done to much looking yet. I will continue looking at both and have a good look around for older ones, I ideally don't want to get one from a pet shop as I would be worried about health issues, though i'm in the uk so I don't think any would be wild caught, I think it's illegal here (again I could be wrong though I will have to research the law more)

I will have a look at the exo-terra brand and look at making a lid for a table too, i'm hoping to get the set up way before august in the hope the other half will let me have one sooner (its meant to be for my birthday) x

jmhoesch

5 Year Member
hey there

We got ours from a petshop. They "say" he's young but I know otherwise, I think he's like 1-2 years old. If you take it to the vet, after you get it, you'll be good to go. I wanted to get ours from rescue but there were none close enough for us to drive. We're in southern Arizona, USA.

Put pics up of when you get the enclosure done. We love to see pics here! lol

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Looking for some help in choosing a tortoise and table

For a small, indoor breed, you could link two of these together (one alone is too small). I like them because they have secure lids. They go for about $100 each. I'm currently keeping a sulcata hatchling in modified version of this. I love it because I can keep it outside and the locked lid keeps out racoons and other vermin. If you're crafty, you could also build a tortoise table. It'll be cheaper than buying. If you search "build tortoise table" on this forum, you'll find tons of DIY ideas.

tortoisehouse_Fullweb.jpg

http://zoomed.com/db/products/EntryDetail.php?EntryID=245&DatabaseID=2&SearchID=5

Zoomed Tortoise House

supermum

5 Year Member
Thank you for all your replies, I have found someone selling 9 month old baby horsefields, as she sells with a set up my other half is considering buying one off her, if he does it means I could have one as soon as next tuesday :D Before I get carried away though are there any questions I should ask to ensure i'm buying from someone who cares about her animals?

I have a question regarding hybernation though, what age would I have to consider this? Also how important is it as I have read places that say its optional :/ Its one of the things already making me nervous lol

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
supermum said:
Thank you for all your replies, I have found someone selling 9 month old baby horsefields, as she sells with a set up my other half is considering buying one off her, if he does it means I could have one as soon as next tuesday :D Before I get carried away though are there any questions I should ask to ensure i'm buying from someone who cares about her animals?

I have a question regarding hibernation though, what age would I have to consider this? Also how important is it as I have read places that say its optional :/ Its one of the things already making me nervous lol

In the wild, they hibernate every winter regardless of age. They hibernate because its too cold to survive wihout hibernating.

In captivity, where the environmental conditions are controlled, hibernation is completely optional. They do not need to hibernate. If you feel more comfortable not hibernating the tortoise, thats perfectly okay. The tortoise will be fine either way.

supermum

5 Year Member
Thank you, I would prefer not to hybernate if I don't need to, I would spend all winter in a panic lol, but ultimetley I want the best for the tortoise x

Status
Not open for further replies.