Please Help, ANTS!!!

Kiwi_04

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hi, this evening I went to check on my 6 year old Russian Tortoise Kiwi. I noticed on the wall there was a moving black line. Then I looked closer, ANTS!!! The ants had crawled from the window where the enclosure is under, onto its walls and into the substrate. I spot clean every 1-2 weeks and there had been some left over food. The ants were eating the food and were crawling all throughout the substrate. They were even carrying what I believe to be eggs and placing them right next to Kiwi's feeding rock. There was a huge pile of them. I lifted up the rock and there were even more ants. I immediately took Kiwi out. Then I grabbed a bowl and took the rock outside. I sprayed window cleaner onto tge walls, which kills ants, life hack. No cleaner made its way into the enclosure. I tried to get as many ants out as possible, but I'm still hesitant to put Kiwi back inside. When I built the enclosure, I put a layer of black lining around the edges and bottom. I'm worried that the ants made their way in between that and made a nest. If anyone has any information to help me out, that would be great. I really appreciate it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you go to our 'search' feature and type in 'ant remedies' it will come back with several that we have posted in the past.

Black ants won't harm your tortoise.

atlfrog

US
Windex kills ants on the spot and can help wipe trails. No real fix. Balsamic Viniger and Lemon Juice a 50:50 ratio is known to be one of the best natural organic insecticides. I wouldn't spray it in the pen but around the entire perimeter is alright. You have to reapply appromix every 3 weeks depending on weather. Results are different for everyone. Advanced non organic pesticides, commonly used, last about 3 to 4 weeks. Pesticides is my field of work. Sooner or later not. :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I would change the substrate if you are concerned, and also remove all uneaten food every night.
A good chemical free and tort safe ant killer is the food grade Diatomaceous Earth, it takes a while to work but if you put it near where the ants are coming in your home it will get rid of them. But as already suggested if you search there are other non chemical ways.

atlfrog

US
Just remember to make sure whatever you use cannot hurt your animals. Plenty of stuff out there, Google is your friend but also can be your enemy. Paranoia is always my friend. Lol

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would change the substrate if you are concerned, and also remove all uneaten food every night.
A good chemical free and tort safe ant killer is the food grade Diatomaceous Earth, it takes a while to work but if you put it near where the ants are coming in your home it will get rid of them. But as already suggested if you search there are other non chemical ways.
I love food grade DE safe nontoxic not a poison so ants can't become immune. Awesome stuff

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I love food grade DE safe nontoxic not a poison so ants can't become immune. Awesome stuff
I ordered some off Amazon to deal with the ants, but after reading the packaging, I thought I'd take it myself in drinks because it sounded like a solution for everything! It tasted like clay so only managed a couple of drinks - not long enough to feel the benefit! I've not had ants in my pants since though;)