Please Dont let this tort suffer

Ttfjc

Location (City and/or State)
Houston,TX
Guys
I might end up rehoming my Hermans my parents took the tank out and told me that i can house it put it outside or home ot with my sulcata i have the hermans in a 1 fweet my 6 inch Enclosure right now i don't know what to do here. It might be to cold put side for the Hermans. And not many people in Houston,Tx care for tortoises Right. I wont tax any fee for the Hermans. Please someone help. Any ideas?

Sa Ga

MN
At worst if someone won't take it immediately, contact Emerald Scales. They rehome reptiles of all sorts and will help you ship it to them safely.

Ttfjc

Houston,TX
At worst if someone won't take it immediately, contact Emerald Scales. They rehome reptiles of all sorts and will help you ship it to them safely.
The thing is that i can care of it i just cant figure it out how can i keep it warm outside

Sa Ga

MN
The thing is that i can care of it i just cant figure it out how can i keep it warm outside

How cold is it? Could you make him a box /house and keep him in it at night w/ a CHE (ceramic heating element)?

I don't know specific needs of a Hermanns, but if you can't keep him warm enough (starting *right now!*), you can't keep him.

The kindest thing to do is ask your parents to allow him inside during cold spells while you find a home that can provide completely for him. It is cruel of your parents to let him suffer....and it's cruel for you to do so as well by keeping him if you cannot provide for ALL of his needs.

I really really hope they'll make that accommodation for him in the meantime, and I sincerely wish you the best. I would be out there each cold time, holding that little guy to my body until my parents let him back inside. (And I'd probably sneak him inside!)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I know they are your parents but that is animal cruelty and that's not right. If they were going to be jerks they shouldn't have let you have him to begin with.
Hermanns can do fine if an adult in 60 degrees at night as long as they can warm up during the day. So get a plastic tote box for him to sleep in at night and put in a place that stays 60 or above or fix a che in it and be sure to have it covered so heat stays in. Putting the che on a thermostat so it doesn't over heat the tort. Then for the day put him in his own outdoor enclosure and give him a hide box with a mercury vapor bulb basking light in it to get under if the day is a bit chilly. If you can't do all of this then you must rehome him. If he is not an adult then you must keep him in the house or rehome him.

Ttfjc

Houston,TX
How cold is it? Could you make him a box /house and keep him in it at night w/ a CHE (ceramic heating element)?

I don't know specific needs of a Hermanns, but if you can't keep him warm enough (starting *right now!*), you can't keep him.

The kindest thing to do is ask your parents to allow him inside during cold spells while you find a home that can provide completely for him. It is cruel of your parents to let him suffer....and it's cruel for you to do so as well by keeping him if you cannot provide for ALL of his needs.

I really really hope they'll make that accommodation for him in the meantime, and I sincerely wish you the best. I would be out there each cold time, holding that little guy to my body until my parents let him back inside. (And I'd probably sneak him inside!)
? you think im not doing that ill i have light i can maintain her warm in the day but in the night i can take her inside with the sulcata

Ttfjc

Houston,TX
I know they are your parents but that is animal cruelty and that's not right. If they were going to be jerks they shouldn't have let you have him to begin with.
Hermanns can do fine if an adult in 60 degrees at night as long as they can warm up during the day. So get a plastic tote box for him to sleep in at night and put in a place that stays 60 or above or fix a che in it and be sure to have it covered so heat stays in. Putting the che on a thermostat so it doesn't over heat the tort. Then for the day put him in his own outdoor enclosure and give him a hide box with a mercury vapor bulb basking light in it to get under if the day is a bit chilly. If you can't do all of this then you must rehome him. If he is not an adult then you must keep him in the house or rehome him.
I can do that but what worrys me that the plastic tote at night wont be big enough what iz she wants to wake up? Ill keep her warm during the day. During the night ill keep her inside my house stays around 60-66 degrees. I do know hermanis need cool night so that might do it

Sa Ga

MN
I guess I'm confused.... Are you trying to rehome her or just concerned about being able to meet her needs?

Are you or are you not allowed to have her safely inside when it's cold?

Ttfjc

Houston,TX
I guess I'm confused.... Are you trying to rehome her or just concerned about being able to meet her needs?

Are you or are you not allowed to have her safely inside when it's cold?
I can keep her inside aslong as it doesn't take much Space

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can do that but what worrys me that the plastic tote at night wont be big enough what iz she wants to wake up? Ill keep her warm during the day. During the night ill keep her inside my house stays around 60-66 degrees. I do know hermanis need cool night so that might do it
At night they usually stay tucked in and asleep. Use a big enough tote box that there can be a hide and water and substrate and a little room to walk. Not just a small shoe box size but doesn't have to be too big seeing it's just for sleeping.

Ttfjc

Houston,TX
At night they usually stay tucked in and asleep. Use a big enough tote box that there can be a hide and water and substrate and a little room to walk. Not just a small shoe box size but doesn't have to be too big seeing it's just for sleeping.
Okay,Thanks

Sa Ga

MN
I can keep her inside aslong as it doesn't take much Space

Ah, ok. Now I get it!

Well, I don't know how much being moved back and forth between the outside enclosure (hopefully separate from any others!) and a small inside bin will affect her, but I am relieved to know that she will at least not freeze!

It will be up to you to gauge if her quality of life is everything it should be. Ad you, yourself said aptly, please don't let this tort suffer.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ah, ok. Now I get it!

Well, I don't know how much being moved back and forth between the outside enclosure (hopefully separate from any others!) and a small inside bin will affect her, but I am relieved to know that she will at least not freeze!

It will be up to you to gauge if her quality of life is everything it should be. Ad you, yourself said aptly, please don't let this tort suffer.
Many people move their torts daily in and out as they may not have a permanent safe outdoor enclosure to leave them in 24/7. I'm in Chicago so in the fall and early spring when we have random nice days, I will move mine, leopards and Russian, from their winter home to their summer home just for the day. I have never noticed any problems. If done daily, any shy and/or stressed tortoise should eventually get used to the daily routine.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I agree with Wellington. What your parents are doing is animal cruelty.

No, you can't put the Hermanns with the sulcata. One should never mix species.

Why did they take out the aquarium? If they won't allow you to have the aquarium, then I doubt a plastic tote would be a good option. Please explain to your parents that tortoises are cold blooded and your little hermanns tortoise needs heat to stay alive. He can't be put outside until it warms up and he can't be put with the sulcata.

It sounds like your parents don't want you to have two tortoises. It might be a better idea to rehome one of them.

There are plenty of tortoise lovers in Houston. You shouldn't have too hard a time finding a good home for one of them

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Sounds like the best thing for this tort is to be rehomed. Being responsible pet owners calls for tough decisions sometimes, we need to be the voice for these voiceless creatures. Do the right thing.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
The problem is the Sulcata. It's going to get big fast if properly cared for and need a room sized place to live. The Hermans won't.

Ttfjc

Houston,TX
The problem is the Sulcata. It's going to get big fast if properly cared for and need a room sized place to live. The Hermans won't.
There's a reasons i got a sulcata i know is gonna get huge my parents bought a 1 acre so I'll keep it out there when its big enough. Ill keep the hermans in a smaller tub when winter over ill keep it in a 60 gallon.