Please allow me to introduce myself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azdad

5 Year Member
But first, I have a question. I'm in the Phoenix area and in need of a large quantity of quality, screened brown desert dirt. The local rock and landscape supply yards I have visited have stuff with too much sand mixed in, does anyone know where I can find my pay dirt?

I have an adult male desert tortoise born in captivity in about 1990. I built an elaborate den and pen in my (former) back yard to house him. Several years later, someone who knew I had him asked me to care for another tortoise (also born in captivity). Several years later they turned into a breeding pair and were quickly separated, I had my legal limit.

Several years later, my then wife chose a life style that was not conducive to sustaining our marriage. I have a new house now, I gave her the other one where my tortoises live. I have to re-create a pen and den to move my male and 3 three year olds. I do not have the adult female anymore.

I start out by digging footings about a foot down and framing the den about 4 courses high in fence block which i concrete stake and fill for stability and insulation. I back fill what looks kind of like a grave site with good old desert dirt (tamping and soaking in layers to compact the dirt) and cover the den in 3/4 inch plywood which i first cover in roofing paper to resist moisture. I burrow out a bit of a starting point for the front entrance then heap several feet of dirt on top of the whole thing for more insulation. It is quite the mound of dirt when I am done. The entrance opening has a plywood overhang and is well above the flood plane.

I am hoping to hear from anyone who knows where I can find some good quality screened desert dirt. Hello all, looking forward to some future tortoise talk.[/size][/font]

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
Glad to have you on the forum. Your plans sound really intersting. I'd love to see some pictures once you get it about done. I know what you mean about sand content. Even the "best" topsoil in Houston has a high sand content. Good luck finding your pay dirt!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi AZdad, and welcome to the Forum!

Good luck on your project.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. I hope you hear from some AZ members soon about the dirt.

Your enclosure sounds fantastic and I'd love to see some pics. I'm designing something like this for sulcatas only on a much larger scale, so I would love to steal some of your ideas. :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Welcome. We have lots of good dirt for your needs in Texas, but that would cost a fortune for you to receive it. Good luck.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome neighbor. I'm not too sure where to get the dirt you are looking for, but when I was looking on Craig's list the other day I did see some kind of dirt...free. you could try that. Look in the free section.

Status
Not open for further replies.