Platysternon.....

harris

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
The fantastic little beasts arrived 2 days ago. Kept separate, they're now eating and have acclimated well. Even at this less than 6 months yr's of age, they will aggressively attack each other, which is why they will always be kept by themselves. I learned my lesson the hard way almost 30yrs ago.
One of the most prehistoric and coolest of all. It's head is so massive that it's unable to withdraw it in any way. As they grow and mature, they grow a "shell" that covers the top of its' entire head. They are horrible swimmers but the very best at climbing. And pulling themselves up fast running brooks at high elevations. I'll bet you can guess why the tail is so long? The Chinese Big Headed turtle.....

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
The fantastic little beasts arrived 2 days ago. Kept separate, they're now eating and have acclimated well. Even at this less than 6 months yr's of age, they will aggressively attack each other, which is why they will always be kept by themselves. I learned my lesson the hard way almost 30yrs ago.
One of the most prehistoric and coolest of all. It's head is so massive that it's unable to withdraw it in any way. As they grow and mature, they grow a "shell" that covers the top of its' entire head. They are horrible swimmers but the very best at climbing. And pulling themselves up fast running brooks at high elevations. I'll bet you can guess why the tail is so long? The Chinese Big Headed turtle.....
They are adorable. And congratulations.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA

WOW!!!! GORGEOUS!!![emoji173]️

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I had one years ago but didn't really know how to care for it and it didn't make it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Love this species. Had one 30 years ago at the store where I worked. Could have had it for $20.

Congrats on acquiring them. Hope to see many more pics in the future.

Tell us how you are housing them and what they are eating?

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
They're being housed in 20 gal aquariums, loaded with plastic plants for cover. The water depth is @ 1" - 1 1/2". The ambient temp on that side of the basement is 70-72 F. Powersun lighting is at each end. I use white t-shirts over the tops which keeps the water at a perfect 66-68 F, yet they're also "breatheable" as air exchange is a must for this species.
They're being fed ZooMed aqua sticks, Mazuri hatchling pellets, bloodworms and earthworms. They go insane over the earthworms. It's funny; the two couldn't be more opposite of one another. While one stays nestled in and moving through the plants, the other spends its' time in the open end just waiting for me to enter the room. They both have quite the appetite.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
They're being housed in 20 gal aquariums, loaded with plastic plants for cover. The water depth is @ 1" - 1 1/2". The ambient temp on that side of the basement is 70-72 F. Powersun lighting is at each end. I use white t-shirts over the tops which keeps the water at a perfect 66-68 F, yet they're also "breatheable" as air exchange is a must for this species.
They're being fed ZooMed aqua sticks, Mazuri hatchling pellets, bloodworms and earthworms. They go insane over the earthworms. It's funny; the two couldn't be more opposite of one another. While one stays nestled in and moving through the plants, the other spends its' time in the open end just waiting for me to enter the room. They both have quite the appetite.

WOW!!! GREAT set ups! [emoji2][emoji173]️

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Like some of the others I had one of these 35+ years ago and they arrived in the US in terrible shape. Shell rot, stumped tails and the like.
Mine did pretty well and ate like a champ. I cleared up the shell rot and the tail healed cleanly, but I was clearly keeping it too warm.
Eventually I sent it to a friend up north who had experience in keeping cool water species.
Since that experience I shied away from Platysternon although they are high on my dream list.
BTW... I think I paid 20 bucks for the one I had.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Neat looking specimens the original does not play well with others turtle. I imagine you paid slightly more than 20$ for them. Congratulations on the aquisition