Plastron normal??

The G

Hello all, I have a 9 month old CH named Scooter. She is very active, and becoming more curious coming to the glass looking out. Scooter has a healthy appetite loving dandelion greens and her tortoise food. I was a little concerned about the marbling on top of her scute, but after reading other postings it sounds normal. I do have a question about her plastron, is this color and texture normal???

Attachments

• Scooter's Shell.JPG
    Scooter's Shell.JPG
    635.3 KB · Views: 36

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Hello all, I have a 9 month old CH named Scooter. She is very active, and becoming more curious coming to the glass looking out. Scooter has a healthy appetite loving dandelion greens and her tortoise food. I was a little concerned about the marbling on top of her scute, but after reading other postings it sounds normal. I do have a question about her plastron, is this color and texture normal???
There are 4 marks on the plastron, I can't tell if that's marbling of shell rot. Everything else looks good. See if anybody else can tell what it is. I've loaded a blown up photo of one of the marks I'm talking about.
Scooter's Shell~2.JPG

The G

Thanks for the response. I am very concerned now. I just cleaned out her terrarium and took some more shots of her shell and her environment. I did use a soft tooth brush and some warm water. Let me know you all think. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1481.JPG
    IMG_1481.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1482.JPG
    IMG_1482.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1483.JPG
    IMG_1483.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 28

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
No worries. No worries at all.
You might have a little bit of scoring on the neonatal scutes from urine or sitting in feces. But nothing to get all nuts about.
When neonate tortoises hatch out their shells are soft and rather absorbent and thus are suspect to getting 'burned' from sitting/resting in urates or stuff like that.
This will eventually wear away. So, make an effort to keep the enclosure very clean---especially the places where they sleep---and move on.
Do not try to brush this away. Although you are using good reasoning, the effect is that you are trying to scrub away a scar.