Plastic Tubs, Glass Tanks, or Enclosed Chambers

Happytort27

Location (City and/or State)
CA
I’ve been looking around the forum for some info on this. I’ve read that they are all an option for your baby tortoise enclosure, but I just want to see which one you all prefer. Right now, I have a large plastic tub with a lid containing beautiful baby tortoises. On the other hand, I recall @Yvonne G saying something that healthy tortoises were also raised in tanks, as they can keep up the humidity and warmth. Lastly, enclosed chambers (at least to me) are frequently used, and I guess are similar to tanks. I was just wondering which would be the best (from your experience!) to raise our baby tortoises! I know they are all safe options, but feel free to state your opinion. If there was a discussion that was related to this topic that I missed, please send me the link so I can check it out. Thank you so much.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
For young tortoises up to around 3.5" plastic sweater boxes (without the lid) work best. They come in a variety of sizes, some up to 4' long, opaque (allowing better light in), are inexpensive, easily cleaned and maintained and are impervious to moisture. Humidity levels are easily achieved by monitoring the enclosure and misting when necessary as well as maintaining correct soil moisture. I've used these containers for years with great success.
I would stay away from dark containers such as mortar tubs and solid color totes. Even when the correct lighting is being used in them they are always darker inside than the opaque containers.
Glass containers such as aquariums work well too but they are generally taller than necessary and because of that can inhibit positive air exchange which is very important in humid conditions. They also provide a clear barrier for a tortoise which will often cause them to constantly pace the outside perimeters constantly. Tortoises don't understand the concept of glass, they can see the other side a will sometimes continually try to get there. This is less of an issue with opaque containers.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I’ve been looking around the forum for some info on this. I’ve read that they are all an option for your baby tortoise enclosure, but I just want to see which one you all prefer. Right now, I have a large plastic tub with a lid containing beautiful baby tortoises. On the other hand, I recall @Yvonne G saying something that healthy tortoises were also raised in tanks, as they can keep up the humidity and warmth. Lastly, enclosed chambers (at least to me) are frequently used, and I guess are similar to tanks. I was just wondering which would be the best (from your experience!) to raise our baby tortoises! I know they are all safe options, but feel free to state your opinion. If there was a discussion that was related to this topic that I missed, please send me the link so I can check it out. Thank you so much.
If your wanting to grow a smooth tort. For the first couple years nothing will work better than a closed chamber in my experience. These can be created out of plastic tubs, glass tanks, or custom built with wood or pvc.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Closed chambers wins, hands down. Especially for species that tend to pyramid, like sulcata, leopard and star.