Plastic storage bin enclosure "build".

CandyAss

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Escondido
Hello, all! My three Desert Tortoise babies (hatched September 2018) are ready for bigger and better accommodations. I searched all over the interwebs for a prefab enclosure that would work in the space I have. Nothing fit the bill or the budget, so I've decided to try to build one myself.
I have four plastic storage bins, 26.125×16.25×13.5, but I'm limited by space on how I can layout the bins. I was thinking of positioning the cutouts to create a more interesting layout inside. I can arrange the bins in either a 65×26 or 52×32 rectangle. I'm leaning towards 65×26, but I'd like to hear your thoughts and suggestions. I've attached the sketches I drew up to help me visualize the layouts.
The measurements are approximations and nothing is to scale. I don't know if I'll need all the lights and heat sources, but I threw them in just to see how it could work. I've got all my lights on timers and heat on a thermostat, which I'll carry over to the new setup, and likely add a rheostat for the basking area.
Looking forward to your feedback! 20190120_165821.jpg 20190120_165754.jpg 20190120_165821.jpg

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
I have no idea but I want to see the finished product so I’m commenting.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Cool idea! Both set-ups look good. How will you attach the bins together? I'm looking forward to seeing it completed too.

CandyAss

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Escondido
Cool idea! Both set-ups look good. How will you attach the bins together? I'm looking forward to seeing it completed too.
Unfortunately the bins are too tapered to get a good fit. Glad I kept my receipt and did a dry run before cutting anything!!
FWIW, I was going to try roughing up the plastic and using thin strips of Great Stuff foam to bond the bins together.
Back to the drawing board!

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Ah yes, my projects always include many road blocks and plan B,C,D...

Many members here use Christmas tree storage bins but I have no idea if that helps in your situation.

One of my enclosures is an old bookshelf lined with heavy plastic but because I have adult Russians I don't need to keep humidity too high... I'm guessing you do, right?

I hope your next plan is a gem :)

CandyAss

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Escondido
Ah yes, my projects always include many road blocks and plan B,C,D...

Many members here use Christmas tree storage bins but I have no idea if that helps in your situation.

One of my enclosures is an old bookshelf lined with heavy plastic but because I have adult Russians I don't need to keep humidity too high... I'm guessing you do, right?

I hope your next plan is a gem :)
Yes, I do need to keep humidity up. I'm currently going the bookcase route and modifying it to create higher sides and a lid so I can have all my lights and heat inside. It also needs to be cat-proof, which is probably the biggest challenge. (Actually, the biggest challenge is not strangling my husband every time he says "why don't you just do it this way").