Plastic rubber maid VS. Large fish tank

von345

I am just wondering. A lot of people so NO to vivariums but yes to keeping baby Leopards in rubber maid containers. Why is that? Both would hold humidity? I have a 40 gal. Breeder tank that I was thinking of covering the bottom ( so the tortiose could not see out ) and putting some type of plexiglass at the top to hold the humidity it. Can anyone shed some light on why one method is better then the other? Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
What makes up my mind about the two is size/cost. You can get a way bigger plastic tub for quite a cheaper cost. Other than that, one is just as good as the other.

If you already have a glass vivarium of the size you want, I see no reason to not use it.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I've used glass tanks AND Rubbermaid containers. Both will do just fine. A Rubbermaid is cheaper but a tank can be decorated prettier.
Use whichever you prefer :)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I agree, either works. One thing I like about rubber maids is you can attach a second to expand the enclosure as they grow.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I was going to say the same as Jodie. An aquarium only lasts a short time. The tubs can be added onto and as many as you want. Cost is another big factor. If an aquarium isn't recommended, it's usually because someone wants to use it for a tort that is too big for one

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I agree, either works. One thing I like about rubber maids is you can attach a second to expand the enclosure as they grow.
I've always heard this, but never saw a way to do it that i was satisfied with. How do you do it?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I've always heard this, but never saw a way to do it that i was satisfied with. How do you do it?
I only did it kind of once. I cut a hole on 3 sides n folded it down to make a ramp into the other. Duct tape made it work. It was a temporary thing. It wasn't sight appealing, but worked.

von345

Thank you everyone so much! I already have the glass tank but I didn't want to do anything to hurt him. Again I really appreciate the advice. What do yall use for night time heat?